Does anyone else have a Mom who just brings you down?

Let's hear it for women who stay positive, take pride in their appearance, attitude, and behavior! They must be blessings to their families. If you have a Mom like that then your fortunate. Or maybe you have one like mine. I love my Mom but she thinks I'm just here to soak up all her negativity. Ive heard less moaning and helplessness from my two year old. At this point, she's gotten so bad that I'm expecting to receive a formal invitation to her pity party any day now-an engraved one at that! She's got a PHD in the art of complianing. She calls me on the phone and expects me to listen to her latest drama. She also thinks it's a good thing to give up on her appearance apparantly. She can afford to buy some new clothing but I guess one pair of pants and a shirt is all she needs. Yeah who cares about how you look anyway!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Relationships

• i have a mom that does that, i simply stay away from her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• My mother was like that. She passed away 6-months ago. And I feel she is happy now. But when she was with us she was hell on earth. NO one wanted to visit her any more, she push everyone away with her drama.
    I was the one who would tell her the truth and she did not like it, but would get better for a couple of days. Her mother was the same.

When my mother passed away we thought it was for the best. We think she is happy for the first time.
    But when my dad died a year before we all wanted him to stay a little longer.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:21 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I had a Mom like that. She would call me with these sorts of conversations several times a week (she lived on the east coast and I live on the west coast). She would tell me all of the problems and such in her life for hours until I had to tell her that I had to go. She passed away seven years ago and I'll tell you something, I would give anything to have even one of those complaining phone calls from her once again. Enjoy and accept your Mother for whatever she is (and let go of what she is not). There will come a day where you will miss her dearly, as I do my Mother.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• My mom could be a very negative person. It was up to me to stay positive for myself. When she starts her negative pity party just tell her you love her but you are not going there with her and to call you back when she feels better. She sounds depressed to me.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:38 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• My Mom went through a tough time about a year and a half ago with her marriage to my step-father. She called almost everyday, and did nothing but complain about him and how she was going to (never) leave him. It's listening to a broken record. There were times when I wanted to just slap her out of it. And this was all while I was pregnant with my first child, her first grandchild. Sometimes, I felt she was being so selfish to focus all the attention on her marital problems and not the joyous occasion.

During one of my trips up to see her, a couple of her friends came by to give gifts to my daughter. When my Mom was out of the room, they raved on at how I was such a good daughter and how just by patiently listening, I had made a difference. Although I may roll my eyes, I always welcome my mother's complaining calls. You never know which one will be the one that matters.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 11:39 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I'm going through the same thing with my mother right now. It's not as much the negativity as the control. She say I'm not going to tell you what to do and the next thing I know she's telling me WHAT TO DO!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Yes, my mom and i have always had an ongoing battle since i can remember. I think she looks at me and see's my dad(whom i resemble a lot) and they are now divorced. Every time she argued with my Dad, she would argue with me. She always toke her marital problems out on me and never my brother. But when i got in college that was the most fulfilling, happy, lively part of my life. I was taking classes, working part time and participating in sports and met and fell in love with a wonderful man who is now my husband. I refuse to let ANYONE bring me down now, and i want my kids to never experience anything like i did growing up.
    Anonymous

• mY MOTHER IS WORSE THEN THIS. mY MOTHER TOLD ME TO ROT IN HELL IN FRONT OF MY KIDS AND TOLD MY KIDS THAT ARE 1,2,4 THAT I DON'T LOVE THEM AND THAT I HAVE BEEN A BITCH SINCE I WAS 12, SHE HAS MY KIDS AND IS ENJOYING SEE ME FAIL. I AM UNEMPLOYED AND HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR WORK AND HAVE BEEN TURNED DOWNED SO MANY TIMES AND SHE THINKS ITS FUNNY. I CARE ABOUT MY APPERANCE AND TALK SHOWERS AND EVERYTHING BUT OWN ONE PAIR OF PANTS AND SEVERAL TEES. I WASH MY PANTS ALOT.
    youngmom2004

Answer by youngmom2004 at 9:40 PM on Dec. 1, 2009