Oldie but Goodie: 24 month old all of a sudden waking up at night and wanting us to sleep with him. My husband is doing it because he screams when he doesn't get his way. Me: Nope... walk that boy right back into his room. Advice?

My husband is concerned because my son sleeps right next to our daughter, who is 5 and the first night, he woke her up and we had to get them both to bed. The second night, I got my pillow and parked my butt outside his door and everytime he opened it, I gently walked him back to his bed, patted his back and told him it's time to lay down.

After 5 times and holding the door shut and an hour of screaming, he finally went to sleep.

'Course, I was up for another 3 hours just waiting. It was like having a newborn.

lynnard

Asked by lynnard at 11:12 AM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i hate this phase, my son went through it around 16 months, while i was 38-39 weeks preggo. it sucked. dh took him on weekends, i took him on weekdays (dh had to get up at 4am on weekdays) anyway, what we did was when he woke up, i'd take him into the living room, cuddle on the couch and watch a 15 minutes educational show (our On Demand had ed. kid shows for free), then after it was over, i'd tell him it's bedtime and he needed to go back to bed. i'd take him to bed, tuck him in, go back to bed. at first, he would still cry, but if he didnt'' stop after about 20min, we'd repeat the whole thing. normally after the second one he'd go right to sleep. gradually it turned into watching 1 show and then he'd go right to sleep. after about 2 weeks, he stopped waking up. those were the ONLY 2 weeks he's ever not slept through the night since he was 6 months. hope my dd doesn't go through it :) GL!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:26 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• You're doing the right thing. Keep at it and it will take less and less time each night. I'd guess (based on MY experience LOL) that two night should do it for the most part.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Oh man! I was in the same place a few months ago with my dd. Take it from me- DON"T stay in the room until the falls asleep, they'll just wake up worse later without you. then you will be stuck in there all night. And Don't let them in the bed with you. I did both of those and am slowly trying to dig my self out of the hole I'm in now. I think your doing the right thing! I wish I'd have thought of it ;)
    Julia
    Aquamom2

Answer by Aquamom2 at 2:37 PM on Dec. 1, 2009