Crockpot

Do I stir the meal Im cooking in the crockpot? Or keep it covered for the whole 8 hours?

serioussifL

Asked by serioussifL at 11:20 AM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Keep it covered, but watch it in the final couple of hours. Stirring won't hurt anything, but it's not necessary as long as you have juice in there.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 11:32 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I stir mine. I have a crappy crockpot though...one side always, always burns. So I'm constantly stirring.
    Dayija

Answer by Dayija at 11:22 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Stirring makes it take longer to cook. I'll only stir if I'm making rice or something, or something that I kind of worry about cooking unevenly - but normally no, you don't stir it. Sometimes I'll stir in some extra ingredients towards the end, sometimes I'll stir a meal about halfway through - but that's more to check if I'm right about the time. But general rule of thumb is leave it be.
    Anonymous

• You really shouldn't stir the food in the crockpot unless the recipe you are using says to do so because once you open up that lid, you let out a good bit of the moisture and heat. Besides, if you had to watch & stir whatever you were cooking in the darn thing, wouldn't that pretty much defeat the purpose of using a crockpot in the first place? I use my crockpot on days when I know I won't be home in time to cook supper, so in the AM all the fixin's go in and I set it to be done about 20 minutes after I get home from work. Nothing like coming home to a hot, home-cooked meal!
    Anonymous

• I like to stir so I can lift the cover and smell what's in it. lol
    Anonymous