How to help a teething baby...and tired momma

My son will be 4 months old in 6 days. I think he might be teething although I am not 100% sure. His symptoms are...heavy drooling, fussiness, trouble falling and staying asleep, constantly putting his hands and other things in his mouth, eating more frequently, and more watery poop than usual (but not diarrhea). No fever or anything like that though. If it sounds like teething to you, can you please give me some advice as to how to help him feel better and get some rest? I've tried a little tylenol but it doesn't seem to be doing much. Thanks!

Ash9724

Asked by Ash9724 at 11:28 AM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yep, teething. get some teething drops or tablets. i've only used drops, so the tablets i'm not sure on how good they are. tylonal can help too, but i like to go without meds if possible. give him a cold washrag to chew on, or teething rings. just whatever you do, don't use orajel. it toughens the gums, making it harder for the teeth to get through, thus, making the teething longer and more painful :) oh yeah, and bibs. you may go through 5-8 a day, lol, but it's better than changing shirts all the time! GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:34 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Ohhhh yes. My daughter is 11 months old and just got her seventh tooth. She got her first two at four months old, it's been hell the past few weeks. I find that Tylenol and baby oragel worked wonders, if you're not opposed to medicine or anything like that. Also, cold washclothes are miracles! I also agree on bibs. We used bibs for so long, until she figured out how to pull them off. Now we can't put them on her because she can't stand them, lmao. I promise though, it DOES get better as they get older. Teething was a cakewalk this time around compared to the first six teeth. There wasn't as much drool and she wasn't as pissy.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:44 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Teething tablets. Some places keep them behind the counter and you have to ask the pharmacist for them. They are all natural and completely safe and work wonders.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:22 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• okay my daughter got 2teeth at 4months and 4 at 6 months so she lived on teething tablets and tylenol and motrin round the clock i have a dosing chart the doc gave me yeah now she 10months and getting first molar yeah me no it sucks no joke but tylenol and motrin were the best for payt
    mommydec08

Answer by mommydec08 at 1:04 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Personally I don't like to give medication to a baby unless they really need it. For my little one, he usually would calm down for the cold, wet washcloths to chew on, teething rings, one of those mesh feeders with an ice cube inside it for him to suck on, rubbing his gums with my clean finger (like a gentle massage), or even brushing his gums with an infant tooth/gum cleanser brush (the ones you put on your finger with the little bristles on them). I haven't given him any Orajel, teething tablets, or Tylenol for his teething, and he has come out well. So far he has five of his teeth in. Then again...perhaps I have just lucked out in how he responds to the cold against his gums.
    JewelsE

Answer by JewelsE at 10:51 AM on Dec. 2, 2009