Can someone tell me if i'm calculating this right...(Calorie intake/lb. of fat lost/Calories burned)

So to lose a lb. of fat in 1 week, you have to burn 3500 more calories than oyu eat, which comes to about 500 calories a day, so if i eat 1500 calories i need to burn 2000 a day to lose 1 lb. So if i wanted to lose 3 lbs. a week, i would need to burn 10500 a week, which is 1500 a day, so if i eat 1500 cal. a day i would need to burn 3000 calories a day to lose 3lbs a week. Is this right?

NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Asked by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 11:44 AM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• It is true that 1 lb equals 3500 calories. Lets say that to maintain your current weight, you need to eat 2000 calories. and you want to loose 3 lbs a week ( which is alot unless you are exercising a lot). You need to have a defecit of 10,500 calories, which is 1500 calories a day. So you need to cut that out between cutting out calories and exercise. you should not go below a certain amount of calories a day because you don't want your body to go into starvation mode and try to hold on to what it has. If you cut out 500-600 calories a day, you will need to burn off 900-1000 calories with exercise, daily.
    mcbrand

Answer by mcbrand at 12:26 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Yes and no....First of all your diet will helpl with this...to start off you need to make sure you have 5 small meals every 2 3 hours...this should fit in your hand.....You have to make sure you are working out too but don't let your target heart rate get to high bc then you start buring mucle not fat!! also you may want to try a fitness site that can explain what foods to eat!!! The scale is your worst enemy..you should break it...it's about hoe you fee and not what you weigh bc I have lost 10 pound but put on mucle weight and i dropped 2 sizes...goodluck!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• you said yes and no and didnt explain what was right and what wasn't right.....
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 11:52 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• My trainer told me that 25 % of your work out should be cardio ....55 should muscle weight and 20 food% all in all you need to fuel your machine to get it to burn right....smaller meals is right...yes 3500 is a puond so if you burn it you will lose it but just make sure you body doesn't go into starvation mode!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Go to FitDay.com. Sign up...it's free. It calculates everything for you. It tells you how many you should eat per day. You can enter all your food, all your exercise. It's pretty neat! I don't count calories, but I still use it as a reference. The poster above me mentioned making sure you're eating enough calories. FitDay surprisingly told me I could eat more than I thought I ever could and guess what? I've lost 30 lbs in 3 1/2 months!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 10:48 AM on Dec. 2, 2009