Finger food ideas for toddler of 14 months

My son doesn't let me feed him anything - he will only eat what he can pick up on his tray with his cute little fingers. So I am limited on what foods I can give him. I mostly make pasta with either chesse sauce or minced chicken/tomato sauce with veggies in it. He likes cooked/steamed vegetables. I was hoping to find out if other moms had suggestions on what finger foods other than pasta I can give him, still staying healthy (btw, he doesn't like the texture of minced meat, so can't give him meatballs or burger meat!). thanks in advance :)

ANAHITA72

Asked by ANAHITA72 at 11:50 AM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have a huge problem with my lil one I tend to give him cubes of cheese and try turkey in place of some chicken. He likes cubes of ham and cucumbers pealed. Does he eat any cookies(I know its not great) but try Mum Mums you can get them at walmart there rice husks plain, or flavored. Try different gerber snacks there are soo many. You can try different fruits and vegetables.
    purplefairy

Answer by purplefairy at 12:06 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Mac & Cheese, Ramen noodles with out the soup, freshly made Pinto Beans, just about anything they can smash...lol lightly.
    Anonymous

• I already give him the Mum Mums as snack and he actually says the name too :) I am not worried for snacks, it's fresh food for lunch/dinner I am concerned. I make pasta for him twice a week, give half to the daycare with veggies and they warm it up and give him. But I really wanted another variety of food rather than just pasta. I will definitely try beans. I know it's good for them too - it just makes them gassy, doesn't it?
    ANAHITA72

Answer by ANAHITA72 at 12:46 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Well almost any fruit is soft enough for toddlers so just peel and dice :-) Soft cooked veggies of course, any type of bread, chicken, ham, or turkey. Cheese, pasta, beans. You can make a lot of things with those ingredients. Easier said than done though, my son eats all of these things but its a matter of coming up with the recipes and actually cooking a meal rather than just throwing something together that is the tough part lol.

jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:53 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Dice up pieces of whatever you're eating. Getting them used to eating what you're eating early, cuts back on fussiness and you turning into a short order cook. And put his food on a plate, he should be used to eating off plates and out of bowls by now.
    Anonymous

• im in the same boat - my twins will take a couple of spoon fulls of whatever i feed them and then they want to take over. We have done all types of fruit, pastas, breads, I boil veggies and dice up (carrots, potatos, avacado, sweet potato, green beans, etc) They were preemies so still having gagging issues but they are slowly getting the hang of it. One day they do great the next not so much. I found a website "wholesomebabyfood.com" i loved it!!!! I found a couple of receipes that have come in handy! This is so far the hardest stage for me because i want them to eat healthy but having a hard time finding ideas. If you hear any good ideas please pass along.
    JDAVIS6415

Answer by JDAVIS6415 at 2:09 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• pretty much any veggie steamed till softened and diced into small cubes, soft cheese diced up, chicken breast diced up. Usually have several small contaners of diced up friuts and veggies on hand. Beans are a great one too. just rinse a can of black beans and walla.. my kids love those... don't even have to heat it up. you can soften and dice just about any veggie. Cauliflower is a big hit beleive it or not, peas, carrots, even just potatos with a little salt and butter. Yams, corn, zuchine, squash. pretty much if you can cook it and dice it... go for it...
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:53 PM on Dec. 1, 2009