What family values/parenting skills do you use/have & why do you feel they are important &/or work?

My hubby is taking a child development class & his assignment is to interview other parents about their family values & parenting skills, what they use & what works & why/how? EXAMPLE: I make my child read for 30min daily each day & it improves their academic skills as well as draws us closer as a family...All input is greatly appreciated. Thanks ladies!

whispers2005

Asked by whispers2005 at 11:55 AM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Our main family value is to always be sure that either my DH or I are available to our DD. Growing up, my husband's parents as well as my parents rarely made time for us and were not a part of out activities. I remember every basketball game as a kid just hoping that I would look at the bleachers and see my parents sitting there. It happened once after much begging on my part. I remember always being the last kid after any afterschool activity waiting for my parents, forcing the coach or teacher to stay after and wait with me. I remember having to rely on other kids' parents to drive me to and from games/ practice. Even as a very young child, I remember begging my mom to teach me how to ride a bike and how she said she didn't have time. My Dh's parents never took him fishing or camping. Poor guy had to raise his younger brother and sister forcing him to stay back a year of high school. So, I guess we feel pretty
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 12:07 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• For breakfast we always eat bananas, oranges, apples, and pancakes. With pear juice. Its important that he learns how to eat healthy. He is 2 and he has only been sick twice in his whole life. I like to think his diet has helped him stay well.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 12:07 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• strongly about making that committment to our DD that we will always be there for her. So, family value? idk, but that's our main priority. Also having a college fund so that she will not have to struggle through college as we did.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 12:08 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I teach my children to write their appointments for homework, play, reading, TV etc on their calendar, this way they learn how to schedule their time. Plus they are rewarded for being on time and telling the truth which sets the behavior for home and future business or relatonships. My children each have a particular responsibility and all work together to keep the house clean, which helps them to learn teamwork and if one member of the team doesn't do their part, how it impacts the rest of the team. Anything taught in the home can be applied to the work world which is why WAHM could be the best managers in any business. Our skills in organizaing, multi-tasking, thinking on our feet, handling emergcies, balancing finances, resolving conflicts, people management ... are used everyday in companies. The way we do them at home teaches our children not only how to do them in their personal life, it prepares them for their careers.
    DolphinChrissy

Answer by DolphinChrissy at 12:12 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• wellwe sit down for dinner ever night..we eat at the table with the tv off and we talk abou the day and stuff.. plus i am kinda strict..my kids know when i say no it means no..i havent had to spank but a few times to make my point but ive never beat my kids unlike a lot of friend of mine whos kids act up..even at school the teachers say my kids are the most well behaved...which make me feel great..they are polite and so sweet... there is no cussing around my kids... and i want the same respect i had for my parents and elders..i wasnt even aloud to say darn in my house growing up.. and i believe in no talking back... we make a point to also no spoil..when we got the store we dont span the toy isle..we only get toys if it is a holiday or we want to donate..my kids know the week before christmas and bdays we donate toys to the less fortunate to make rrom for new ones.. which teaches the heart and compassion..very active too
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 12:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• we also like playing outside..i hate kids who play video games all day... and i dont let my kids eat processed food..i make evrything fresh, so we make sure we are healthy and not filled with excess sugar and salt.. the only thing we buy of that kind of stuff is cereal and i only buy the real fruit gummies and crackers..we dont eat chips unless we are at a picnic with friends or something
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 12:20 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• We read, read, read all the time. We read to our children since they were born and continued to read to them long after they learned how to read. We had them read to us after they began reading and we encourage them to continue reading. For Christmas, two of my three children asked for gift cards to Border's because they still love to read. Reading opens the mind!
    We also teach them to explore and learn life's lessons through their mistakes while gently guiding them. We wouldn't put them in harm's way, but if my child wants to try a recipe then I will take her to the store to buy the ingredients and allow her free reign in the kitchen. If it tastes bad then I have her try to figure out what could be done differently.
    I never let them give up. Just because something is difficult does not mean it cannot be mastered, or at least learned.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 12:34 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• We have taught our children the need to respect other peoples opinions, you don't have to agree with the opinion but do need to respect their right to that opinion. We have also taught them manners, Please, Thank You etc...opening doors for others, etc... I think this is the basic thing that is missing from so many young people now days, they only think of themselves and no one else.
    Anonymous

• One thing I do is talk to my kids a lot. I don't mean After School Special talks, but just talk about everything, all the time. I never tell them that they won't understand. I explain everything in age-appropriate terms. I also talk to them like normal people, not babies, and they are now good at expressing themselves.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:36 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• My big thing is to never cause pain or fear. I do not hit my kids. We do however have long discusions about it. Ussualy This will always bring us to the root of the problem. Even now that they are teens. I can always talk them into divulging what when why and how. That alows us towork on the underlying reason for thier actions. If for no other reason than to shut mom up. lol
    Roharn

Answer by Roharn at 12:36 PM on Dec. 1, 2009