Do you talk baby talk to your babies? Why or Why not?

I always talk baby talk to my 8 month old and my SO tells me if I keep doing it that he will not learn to talk properly. I don't plan on doing it forever, but right now he is still a baby. What do you ladies think?

BlainesMommy09

Asked by BlainesMommy09 at 12:11 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I quit talking baby talk to mine before he turned 4 months. I did that because people told me the same thing that you were told and I didn't want to risk it. So..I dont think it would hurt the kid.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 12:14 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I did both. Depending on the situation. Baby talk is more for play, I think to make them laugh, and stuff like that. Otherwise, I spoke to them proper.

I feel they are still babies, and it is adorable, but you don't want them talking-baby talk when they are older.

Trust me they do anyway, it is adorable.... I love when my kids spoke to me, until this day, they say the cutest things.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:16 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Oh, My kids are 6 and 7 and sometimes when I am playing I do it, and they say mom, I am not a baby.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:18 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I say go for it! They are baby's!!! My son is 10 months and I do both, but I am not worried about him not picking up proper english... Its not like I answer the phone or talk to his Dad with baby talk- I do it to make him smile and I enjoy it :o)

He is my world and I wouldnt do anything to hurt or stunt his potential... but baby talk is fine- check out parents.com ---
    ashley_hatty

Answer by ashley_hatty at 12:19 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• No, i don't/didn't. your SO is correct, baby's listen to you, they learn from you how things are said. yep, even at 8 months. you can't be talking baby talk to them and then when they start talking they say what you say, it's cute and all but then you go to correct them, they won't understand. to them, mommy says it this way this whole time, but they think you're saying they're wrong for saying it this certain way. my son says helicopter like "coptercopter". as cute as it is, whenever he says it i correct him. it's a BIG word for him, so it's gonna take some time lol

it's kind of like an accent. you learn an accent by hearing it all the time. it takes a long time to get rid of an accent too.
    Anonymous

• I do not use baby talk with my kids, nor does my husband or anyone else who has "regular" contact with them - - - I'm sure it won't cause major issues as long as you're not using just babytalk, but it's not necessary. Even to make them laugh - there are plenty of other ways to make a baby/toddler laugh without saying nonsense words in a funny voice.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 12:24 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• i dont. i think that babies take in too much to waste their early learning on words and sounds that make no sense.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:44 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• ever hear a kid who only heard baby talk? its so irritating.

playtime sure its fine but SPEAK like you would to someone else. WE'RE the ones who are forming who our children are, and their initial vocabulary and speech - so its your fault if your child doesn't speak properly.

Anonymous

• I never did because then they learn to speak what they hear and you have to spend more time correcting them when they're older and really learning how to talk. It makes things even more difficult if they also have a speech delay and you're using baby talk.

Yes, babies (even young ones) are learning what they hear. You shouldn't use baby talk with a baby. It's stupid and hurts their development.
    Anonymous

• I do sometimes but I try not to for that simple reason. My cousin had a speech problem because his parents talked baby talk to him nonstop when he was an infant and into toddlerhood, He has outgrown it now but when he hit school age it was hard for him because he didnt know how to pronounce words correctly.
    krisholl2285

Answer by krisholl2285 at 12:58 PM on Dec. 1, 2009