What should I do with a package of black beans?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I use black beans in chili,taco meat,mexican style casseroles,etc. Use one cup cooked and drained beans per one pound ground meat . They are very nutritious and help stetch your budget. I even use them in chili or mexican style Hamburber Helper.
    coffeemama1776

Answer by coffeemama1776 at 12:39 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• lots of great Cuban style recipes use black beans check out this link

http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blblackbeans.htm

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:48 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• If you're not going to eat them, use them for crafts. Let the kiddos play with them using measuring cups and sand shovels. Assuming they're old enough not to put them in their mouths and choke ;-)
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 12:51 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• soak them overnight. Wake up and put them in the slow cooker/crockpot with some seasonings, onions, peppers and garlic. put some form of ham in with them and one bottle of water and let them cook on high for about 4 hours. Sometimes I don't do the ham and add frozen jumbo shrimp and broccoli at the end. Its amazing withold bay seasoning.
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 1:03 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Hmmmm......that sounds good Shyma. A little cornbread and we are good to go!
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 1:29 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I like to mash them up after their cooked and add them to cooked hamburger to stretch the meat farther and get some extra fiber & whatnot into our diets. In most things you can't even tell they're there. I also like to add them into mexican-style hotdishes, and I've made chicken soup with them in place of the chicken before - which my picky family actually loved! (I personally love beans and can eat them plain, the rest of the family is a work in progress, lol!).
    Anonymous

• All the above recipes are great, but what about black bean salsa? I love black bean salsa!
    Anonymous

• Aly914

Answer by Aly914 at 4:33 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Black beans and rice. Also chili. And ham and bean soup. Or I'd even put some in soups. The easiest way to do this would be to cook up the package and freeze small portions for soup.

Answer by Bmat at 8:52 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• check allrecipes.com. You can make a wonderful bean and tortilla soup. Black beans are usually found in mexican dishes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:42 AM on Dec. 4, 2009