what does it feel like to throw your back out?

Today I was holding my 3 month old dd and I bent over to get something. When I stood back up I got this terrible pain in my lower back. It was so bad I nearly dropped dd. Instead I sat on the couch atreal slow and almost in tears) and layed dd on the floor. I'm now laying on the couch still in pain. I'm only 24 and thought this wouldn't happen til I got much older.

mom06and09

Asked by mom06and09 at 12:30 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Health

• im 24 and iv been throwing my back out every few months for 3 years! there is no age limit. the one thing i have learned is go to the doctor because untill you get some muscle relaxers and are really able to relax your muscles the pain will just get worse. i used to wait and see if it would get better on its own but it always got worse. call your babysitter or someone to help with the baby and go to the doctor!!!!!
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:37 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• That is bs. Do NOT take muscle relaxers if you have a small child. I just got out of Physical Therapy for this. Just take Motrin and do stretches. Lay in the floor and GENTLY stretch that lower back muscle. You can find lower back exercises online. My dr says you can take up to 800 mg of Motrin without hurting your body. Also alternate between heat and cold. Try ice packs first for 20 min then go to a heating pad (or hot shower).

Answer by admckenzie at 12:50 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• p.s. I'd get hubby to give you a massage later too. I get them periodically to keep my back from going out. I'm also starting Pilates to strengthen the core muscles and prevent it as well.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:51 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• ya.. i broke my back at 14 and being a mom kills me.. i have to take pain med everyday because of back pain..if i bend over to much like to do laundry or dishes ill get stuck in the down position..its bad.. ive gotten to the point i cant pick my kids up anymore..im only 22
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 12:53 PM on Dec. 1, 2009