The "Pets are people too" Concept: can you help me understand?

I'm sorry, I don't want to hurt or offend anyone. Actually, I use to kind of be this way too BEFORE I had kids. Some people take it more extremely than others, I even saw an episode of WifeSwap with a dumbass lady who admitted that her pets come before her husband and daughter. My aunt, when she comes over, hardly pays any mind to her great neices but gets that baby voice going with the dog and is all up his ass instead; she doesn't have kids but like 8 indoor cats instead and is single. I just don't understand how anyone who has children can still be stuck in the "my dog is family too" mindframe. Are these the same people that defend "domesticated" pythons when they strangle the life out of a toddler or a dog that suddenly rips the throat out of a child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Pets

• My Guess.... mental illness plays a part in human/animal relationships. When humans relate to animals like the animal is human..... something isn't right.
    kanalee

Answer by kanalee at 4:59 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• My neice stuck me with her dog, smalldogshitsalot. I am ready to give it back but she is now homeless and can't find a home for IT. I am so over dogs, though I do have a cat for practical reasons, ie pests. I get that pets should not be neglected or abused but they certainly are not human or this dog shitsalot would use the toilet!
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 12:42 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Our dog is considered a family member, but she's definately at the bottom of the totem pole...Meaning, our DD's needs come first.  And both DH and I agreed when our DD was born that if our dog ever hurt her, the dog would have to go.  Fortunately, our dog adores our DD and they are best friends.  Phew! 

kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 12:45 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• My neice stuck me with her dog, smalldogshitsalot.

That cracked me up like you wouldn't believe.

I don't understand it, either. We have a dog, but he is an outside dog, and he most certainly does not come before my kids. I love the dog, and I make sure he is well taken care of, but if it comes down to a choice between my family and my dog...well, bye bye doggie.

Honestly, if it were up to me, I'd have a cat. But my boys wanted a dog desperately, and the dog belonged to a friend of ours who needed to give him away, so we took him in. He's a good dog, just a little...high strung.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 12:47 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I have 6 cats and 2 dogs plus whatever comes my way thet needs a foster home. I am not a snake person though. I will defend dogs though because they are my business i work with them daily. Why should my mindset of " My pets are family too" change just because i have kids? I have one pet left that is from my single days should i just ignore her needs just because i have child i think not. I make sure my animals are loved,fed and taken care of medically and otherwise just like i do my child. I do not put them in front of my child but i won't ignore what they need either. I love my pets m they are important to me and if that makes me crazy so be it i welcome it because they bring me and my family much joy.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:47 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Pets are therapeutic, they ease the lonely and apeace the sick. They serve as companionship and don't offer judgement, they love you unconditionally as long as you feed and pet on a regular basis, they are loyal and humble (most of the time). Wild animals are a whole different story, you never really truly domesticate them, and should always be looking out for their natural instincts.
    Pets are usually very much part of their families, they share with children and are always there with a wagging tail or purring sound to let you know you are loved unconditionally.

Answer by older at 12:49 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I have 4 cats.. they are ALL treated like children, I do not put them over my family bc THEY are part of that family. They are discipline more so than my 8 yr old...lol... but they are also WELL behaved..
     I have seen (my sis and sil both) put their dogs above all and when you know that the poor animal should be put down due to extreme age and poor health, they tell you how much they just spent at the vets for more meds for them...
     As for the "Animals aren't Human" ?--- to each their own thinking on that... physically they are not, but as I stated I treat my furbabies like children....

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:52 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Couldn't have said it better kyliesmom! I feel the same about my pets. I adopted my pets and made the commitment to care for them love them etc.., why should that change when I had my son? As far as dogs attacking children, where are those kids parents when that is happening? I teach my son to respect ALL living things and to never walk up to strange dogs or other animals.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 12:53 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• We have 3 awesome dogs! Yes we love them like our children, however, if someone was outside the dogs go out first. They are here for protection as well. They live inside, sleep on the couch, eat good food, get lots of love from our boys and us. But like Hubby say's, "they are dogs, they have a job to do".. And that's to take care of us. So no they would never come before our children, only if they are running out the door to scare off a prowler!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:57 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Our dog was a memeber of the family. We had him since I was 4, so while he wasn't a brother or sister, we loved him very much. There was an old lady up the street and she called her dogs her babies. She was alone, and they WERE like family to her.

Most pets show unconditional love, they don't talk and they can be very soothing in a time of stress. To some, that IS the ideal relationship, especially when you are alone. I think some people take it to a whole new level of insanity, having a place at the table with them, dressing them (daily) in outfits, etc. but I think it's normal for people to love them like family, but when they start going overboard I think it's because they are missing something in there life.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 12:58 PM on Dec. 1, 2009