Being induced??

So I had an ultrasound last week... All is well (thank the Lord); my doctor says he can induce labor on the 14th, which is only a week early. I would like to have her early, but am wondering about it. I don't want to be in the hospital on Christmas (especially with a 2 year old) but then again I feel like she'll come when she's ready... I've also heard that being induced is much more painful, is this true? How exactly does it work? The 14th is also her deceased grandpa's birthday, so while I have mixed feelings about that, my SO would like for her to be born that day... For those of you who were induced, how long were you in labor? Were there any unseen complications? I have 13 days til my little girl will be here... I'm just a little nervous I guess...

momma_marian

Asked by momma_marian at 12:37 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• being induced is not more painful. i have had it both ways. the difference is if you go into labor on your own the pain is kind of graduall. if they give you pitocin it hits like youve been in labor for hours. its not a worse pain you just dont get the early gradually stronger contractions.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:40 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• 13 hours after they induced me I had my son. Contractions are contractions. They all hurt. But it wasn't horrible.

LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 12:40 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I was in labor for 32 hours. I was Pitocen induced and it was all back labor. Horrible. I finally gave in for an epidural at hour 29. I will never allow an induction again unless it's medically necessary. This one was only because the dr was worried about her being big, she was over 1 lb smaller than he said the ultrasound showed. Horrible especially since I didn't want an epi to begin with. Now if you are one of those women who want it, I'm sure that you will be fine and comfortable.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:40 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I was in labor for 3 days, omg, it stunk, not that induced labors are like that.

I was induced because I had to be induced my daughter was not coming out, but I am with you, why not wait until the baby is ready... After the 3 days they had to do c-section, she must have loved it in there. I always tell her, she is very clingy if You could still be in my belly I think you would be.

All and all she is healthy and happy.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:41 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• cassie, sometimes the baby is just not ready to come out. My daughter was not. 3 days, my family was flipping out, saying omg, they should take the baby out, blahh, blaah, bllahhh. You know what they wind up giving me a ceasection I was not ready for that when I already had two natural births. To me it was sooo much more painful..
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:44 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• you will probably get loads of comments here. my opinion is that i would never get induced unless something was wrong. like if my midwife said there is serious problem X and you or your baby could be in danger if you don't get induced. my reasons are that induction increases certain risks. it doesn't necessarily mean that induction==problems just that induction==more likely to have problems. for example, if your body is not ready, it might just end in c-section. if your baby is not ready, she might end up in the NICU with breathing problems. my view is just to let things happen naturally to minimize any risks :)

my sister was induced before her due date and everything went find, but she did get an epidural.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 12:50 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I've had 5 babies. Two were allowed to progress naturally and three were induced due to medical complications. I'd take induced over natural ANY DAY! 10 and 8 hours with natural progression, 45 minutes to 3 1/2 hours with induction and no pain meds (ran out of time). I didn't think the pains were any worse; like others said, you just don't get that crampy early labor, you're cracking into active labor when the meds take effect. Walking and hot showers helped immensely. Transition was literally 10 minutes or less. Just be prepared to face the fact that induction doesn't always "take" the first time. You may be sent home if there is no progress and you get to go back the next day and try again.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 12:50 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• everything went fine* i meant
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 12:51 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• i was induced. I HATED it, the conractions pretty much never stopped, and i had to be hooked up to the damn monitor constantly. But i guess i didn't hate it that much, becaus ei'm letting the doctor induce me again due to the babies size :(. I figure 24 hours of pain (at the most) is worth a lifetime of love from my new little man!
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 12:51 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• "Just be prepared to face the fact that induction doesn't always "take" the first time. You may be sent home if there is no progress and you get to go back the next day and try again."

and know that some OBs won't just send you home if it doesn't "take". they will do c-section, so be sure to talk to your OB and ask lots of questions! if i were you i would just google risks and benefits of induction and do a few hours of research over the next few days :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 12:52 PM on Dec. 1, 2009