How come my daughter (kindergarten) does not make arts/crafts at school?

She started Kindergarten this year in september. But she has yet to make any arts and crafts and bring them home. I been so waiting for holiday crafts she will make so i can put on the tree but nope, nothing. Down the hall there are pictures, pumpkins and scarecrows of older children but nothing for the 5 year olds. I know they cut out pumpkins and colored them. The teacher put them on the walls down the hall but we didnt get them in Oct. My 3 year old whos in Preschool makes more stuff then my oldest. I dont get it!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:40 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• ??? Well then have her make them at home. You even said it yourself they did some, but it was hung up at school. They aren't REQUIRED to send it home, in all honesty. Have her do arts and craft at home... this way you have it.
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 12:42 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Ask the teacher for them, what do they do with them after the holiday have passed? Check the calendar of activities for the month ahead of time and ask the teacher how can you help her to make it easier on her. Volunteer to help her for a project or something. teachers love that. It may also help you learned if there is a sensory issue with your child like tactile perhaps. Some children just don't like to touch sticky things like glue. I don't know I am just suggesting things you can look into.

If everything else fails, make a craft play date at home. Invite some friends and put a table with craft supplies, you might be surprise that your child could enjoy it more at home.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 12:48 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• OP here- we are going to do some at home. But i thought kids make stuff and bring it home. i am 26 years old and when i was in school i always brought stuff home all the time. I guess time changes.
    Anonymous

• It depends on the teacher, all my kids did lots of them, all 4. My son and my older daughter did the most, my son had one that his face was in-he was a pilgrim, I love it.

My daughter who is in first this year didn't have as much last year or this year, but they do have some crafts.

You should ask the teacher? It is not their right for the teacher to throw away their crafts if they are doing any, that is kinda cruel if they throw them away. That should be up to the parent.

KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:48 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Bebita, Im the op. Thanks for the suggestions but if she had sensory issues we would of seen it at home. I thought my 3 1/2 year old had it and when i had the teacher parent conference the teacher said my 3 year old does not have it and it would of shown fast. No my oldest loves crafts. They do nothing with the projects they make. i never get them. In Oct and Nov they made Fall/Autumn stuff like Pumpkins etc. i got Nothing. she only made 1 red and green ornament to put on the tree when she was in Preschool in 2008.
    Anonymous

• I know around here everything has to be SO pc. They can't make Christmas trees or wreaths because they might offend someone who doesn't celebrate Christmas. I know of several teachers who have gotten in trouble over making certain holiday crafts in their classroom (one for ornaments for a Cmas tree!). I'm assuming your son is in a private preschool and of course they can do whatever they like.
    I would think that a kindergarten teacher would do some "fall" crafts like pumpkins or scarecrows, but maybe she just steers away from that thinking that the art teacher should be doing the crafts. Have you asked her if you can come in and have a craft time with the kids? Maybe she just isn't creative and needs some ideas, or some volunteers to help.

Answer by missanc at 2:15 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• OP here-I dont have a son. its two girls i have, a 5 year old and 3 1/2 year old and i never said private school. Its a public school but its a very good good school though. Im not christian but i am pagan. we do the tree but we dont call it christmas tree. we celebrate Yule and we still hang up wreaths, the tree, stockings etc. Im about to leave in 20 mins to take my oldest to school after i put in my youngest in the school bus. I am going to talk to the teacher and ask her if i can help out (which i am more then happy to do since i dont work) If they did fall stuff then they should be giving it to the kids to take home in there friday folder. Why make the kids make stuff if the teacher is going to throw it away? I seen the older kids who made stuff take it home end of the week.
    Anonymous

• schools are not like they used to be....they don't do as much arts/crafts anymore...its really sad. Kids grow up fast enough, which is why I homeschool...My dd is 5 and on a 2nd grade level and we do lots and lots of crafts. check out www.enchantedlearning.com they have awesome holiday crafts.
    Anonymous