Doesn't like veggies!

I know this is a very common problem, I just don't know why it's a problem. When my son was on jar food all he ate was veggies, fruit and rice cereal since I refused to give him jarred meat. Naturally, it was the first finger food I introduced as well and he ate it until I started introducing him to other foods and now he refuses to eat them. I don't ever give him "junk" but I really want him to eat more than bread, cheese, and meat. I know he likes them, he just won't eat them! Any suggestions? I tried giving him veggies first at meal time but he still won't go fot it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I used to believe in letting a child eat what they wanted, within reason. That was before I raised up my own kids that way. It really becomes a health issue later on. You think, well, when they are older they will eat it and be fine. True, except, while they are young and developing physically they NEED those vitamins and minerals. They need the enzymes.
    Learn how to hide veggies in juices, smoothies, cassaroles. Get them in the kid. No matter what he says he has to learn to like them. Our rule is if it doesn't actually make you puke, you have to eat it. (I can tell when my kids are faking.....)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:07 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Try various ways of sneaking those things in. Toast the bread, rolls, pizza, muffins with blueberrys, etc. Cut the bread with a cookie cutter. Make bumps on a log. aka celery with peanut butter & raisins. With my little one we told him the blueberrys in the muffins were power ranger "power". Since he loves Power Rangers it worked like a charm. Same thing with peas, green beans, etc. They would help him grown strong like the green ranger.

For us cheese has luckily never been a problem because they're all little mice. You might try yougort, cottage cheese, etc. Again cut cheese into shapes if possible. Try to make it as fun as possible.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 1:20 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I'd keep trying. Just give him a little each time. Try different veggies in different forms (i.e. cooked vs raw). if he'll eat fruits, make sure he gets a variety. That will help balance his diet. The reality if that all toddlers go through phases where they will and won't eat certain foods. (At the moment, my 2 yr old won't eat meats...) It won't kill them to go for a few months without veggies just don't give up on them. Try dips, fun shapes, foods with veggies in them, etc. I also will tell my son he can't have more of his favorites until he eats a bite of whatever veggies we're serving. Try to avoid turning it into a battle of wills as he may refuse to eat them just on principle! Toddlers also like to ahve control so you might let him choose which veggie he's going to hve that night (give him a choice of two) or pick which piece he wants. We keep frozen veggies on hand for just this purpose.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 1:47 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• when my son was a baby (Now7) he would a bunch of fruits and veggies! I also introduced those foods to him first and he wouldnt touch them!Still to this day he wont touch a fruit or veggie and He has issues with his bowel movements! He takes medicine on a daily basis to just got to the bathroom because he isnt getting what he needs! Fiber!!!!!
    MarineAngel831

Answer by MarineAngel831 at 3:43 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually she will start eating.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 5:59 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Moms who cave are part of the reason why by the end of next year one half of American children will be both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:00 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• If my LO refuses to eat what is on her plate, I fix a plate and eat the same thing. She will take a bite after I take a bite. This works most of the time. A few times I let her sit there and scream until bedtime. She has to learn that Mom isn't a short order cook and we eat what is put in front of us. They won't starve themselves. Remember that food is a weapon and they want to win. You have to be smarter then them. I hope you find a method that works for you.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:58 PM on Dec. 1, 2009