Taking my son to friends house's

I have alot of friends and before my son was born I spent most of my time at their houses. Now that my son is born I haven't changed that much because thats really the only time I have to get out of the house and see people. My friends have kids of their own and I don't always bring my son with us. But some people have given me grief about taking him out at all at his age. I make sure that when we go anywhere no one is sick, and if anyone holds him they wash their hands. I refuse to sit at home every day until its "safe" to take him anywhere. I do avoid taking him to the grocery store or mall at this age because of it being Flu season and all the people. But if i know where he's going to be and who he's going to be around I shouldnt feel bad about it... Should I feel bad about it or keep doing it? How do you feel about the situation?

krisholl2285

Asked by krisholl2285 at 1:35 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't feel bad and don't stop. :) You're taking him to someone's home not the infectious disease wing of the hospital, right? :)

My oldest was born in mid-summer. We were out walking around the block in his stroller the day after we got home from the hospital and visiting my mom at her office and home days later. He's now 7. He survived it. ;) My DD was born mid-September. It's hard to be housebound with a 2 year old in tow so I wasn't. She was out to friend's homes, walks in the neighborhood, church, etc from the get-go. We didn't do a lot of touring, but we did some. She was being carried door to door in a watermelon costume around 6 weeks old so my son could trick-or-treat. LOL! she's now 5 and no worse for the wear.

Do what *you* feel is the right thing for you and your child. You're fine.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:30 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Since I dont know what age your son is, I would say that is the baby is less than 6 wks old then dont take him to too many places. even if you know the people and they washed their hands, babies that young are at a MUCH higher risk of getting sick. But i took both of my sons out before they wre 6 wks old but not everyday or for very long. Maybe once or twice a week. If the baby is more than 6 wks old then i dont see a problem with it but i would still be carefull about exposing him to a lot of people, and expecially kids because they carry the most germs, until he is probably around 2 1/2 to 3 months old.
    Anonymous

• I only see a problem with taking a new baby out in public places too early because in that situation, you can't control the other ppl around you from coughing and sneezing near your baby. For the 1st 3 weeks my son was home, we had at least 1 visitor every single day. I hated it but friends and family kept calling and asking to see him and I didn't know how to say no. No one ever came over sick though and my son is now 4 months old and has never even had a cold *knock on wood.* So I don't see the difference in what you're doing...except that you're the one going to their houses.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:54 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• having a baby does not need to mean you can't leave the house ever. With my daughter, my friends and I started a playgroup while I was still pregnant, and she has gone to that almost every week since she was born. My son was born 2 years later, and he has also never been confined to the house. We go to church every week, and 2 playdates every week. Neither of my kids has ever had anything more serious than a cold - - we are careful about keeping sick kids home, having people wash hands, etc - - keeping your kids in a bubble will only hurt them in the long run. They need to be exposed to a few "safe" germs in order to build up their immune systems.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 2:52 PM on Dec. 1, 2009