Would you consider this to be "Too Much" when interviewing a sitter?

Someone I know has been interviewing sitters. One of the questions she is asking them is if they believe in God and what exactly their religious beliefs are. I would think that would be crossing the line when hiring a sitter. I mean, it's illegal when interviewing for a job in the "real world", so do you think it's ok in this circumstance?

Can a teenage-Christian babysitter watch and care for a toddler better than a non-Christian babysitter?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• In my opinion it's not reasonable to ask that but I guess it's a personal decision. I hope that they express their desire to have a Christain sitter in their ad so that people aren't caught totally off guard...if I was asked that questions by a possible employer I would definitely NOT persue the job any further. I also wouldn't answer an ad that mentioned religion...
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 1:55 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I can see why she'd like to ask as most would want someone who had reasonable moral strength or wasn't into anything radically different to your own lifestyle choices. But then it could be very unfair. A person's religious beliefs don't usually stop them from being kind, patient and capable. Tricky question! Personally I use sitters within friends or family or sitters they have used themselves.
    CosyMama

Answer by CosyMama at 1:58 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• It's a torn issue really. I see both sides. However if a sitter is willing to respect the way a parent raises their child then I don't see the issue. So on that note I think the parent's are going too far. I mean how much "religious discussion" goes into a sitting job? Not much. It's just about respecting the beliefs of one another. For example I would occasionally watch my Christian neighbors children and would make sure they said their prayers before dinner and bed. When she watched my children she would not impose her beliefs on my children. It was simply a matter of respecting each others beliefs.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:59 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• At that point i would be offended and not want the job anymore. She needs to rethink that, maybe ask what their moral beliefs are OR if they feel they hold themselves to a higher moral standard than others! Thats basically what you need to go on, i think there are much better ways to ask that question to get the answers you are looking for!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 2:00 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• No I don't think its unreasonable. That's the difference between babysitting and a "real" job. The mother/father can hire you or not based on whatever they feel is important to them...and as the babysitter you don't have taxes taken out of the money you make. If religion is that important to the family than of course its fine for them to want a babysitter of the same religion. Its their kids and their choice. I personally wouldn't want an atheist or someone of a different religion watching my son. Not that I don't think they could do a good job, but because I don't know how their faith plays into other aspects of their lives...that I might not agree with.
    Anonymous

• Let's turn the situation around and say that I as an atheist would not want to hire a person to babysit my child because they are Christian and I don't want any of her faith aspects to be mentioned around my son, like for example if you don't accept Jesus you are going to hell. To me it would be unacceptable thing to say to a child, any child for that matter.
    How would a Christian babysitter feel if I rejected her because of her faith?
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 2:44 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• If part of the babysitting job required teaching the children religious lessons, saying grace/prayers, teaching morals, etc., sure, I could see it being a good question. But otherwise, I would be put off by the nosiness of the parents. The world is full of examples of people whose conduct doesn't follow their faiith.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:44 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• She should put it in the ad so the teens parents can decide as well if THEY want their teen interviewing with someone who wants a particular type of person. The point I am trying to make is a teen is STILL a child and their parents need to know the type of environment they are stepping into. Moms of teens remember to check out the family that your child is working with.

To answer the question. A persons religion does not determine how good of a sitter they will be. I would rather have refrences from other families that has used their service.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:59 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Yes, I think it crosses a line. I wouldn't ask a sitter that, and I wouldn't want to sit for anyone who asked me. I don't see a situation where my sitter would be discussing religious issues with my kids so it really wouldn't matter.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:04 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I'm with Freela. And let's not forget (Anon 2:05) that while the parents are interviewing the sitter, the sitter is ALSO interviewing them. As a free agent she can pursue the sitting jobs she prefers and avoid the high maintenance parents. I learned that the hard way when I was about 15 and this mother was just outright rude to me and then demanded that I be "on call" at all times just in case she needed me. Umm, no. I have a life. I chose the jobs I wanted and ultimately she didn't make the cut.

deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 3:23 PM on Dec. 1, 2009