Can i use her wic?

I got 5 wic in the mail as a "christmas present" from my SIL. Can i use them at the store or do they check?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Money & Work

• i think that she has to have your name on the front of the envolope that the vouchers came in...im assuming if she sent them in the mail, the envolope didnt come with it...there's like 3 pple she can have on there to get the items for her...if there's no names then they might not do it, but it depends on the person thats at the checkout, if they let that fly or not
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 2:23 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Um that is SOOOOOO illegal!!!!!
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 1:56 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• They check in my area, you have a card that you must give the clerk and then sign the waivers in front of them. The clerk will verify signatures and then continue on....
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:57 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• ok, she said she gives them to people all the time and they never have a problem.. but i certianly dont want to get in trouble over a few little items!
    Anonymous

• How strange.
    When I had WIC I had a card that they had to check at the cashier when I handed over my checks.
    Anonymous

• They dont check in my state, theres nothing to check but a matching signature....but....i wouldnt really risk it!!! too much to lose if ya ask me~
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 2:04 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• They always check here; it is very illegal, and she can get her benefits taken away if she is caught doing that. If she has extra she can get it and give it to you, but she cannot give her checks away.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:16 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• #1. Why on earth is she receiving WIC and just giving away the checks? If she doesn't actually need it, she should get her arse off of it and/or be reported for doing what she's doing!
    #2. It's illegal for you to use her checks unless you've signed her folder and have it with you - so no, you could get in HUGE trouble trying to use those checks!, not to mention if she is turned in and she tells them she gave you some, you could get in trouble too
    #3. That's a pretty lousy "Christmas present" - if she's that hard up she can't get you an actual gift she shouldn't be giving away her kid(s) food, what little it is!
    Anonymous

• You are supposed to not only have the WIC envelope with you (usualy a tri-fold type envelope, ours are pink, don't know if they all are) AND the signed card. Only the recipient and a proxy whose signature will also be on the card is legally allowed to use the WIC check, the cashier or manager (depending on store policy) is supposed to verify the signature on the check matches the one on the card.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:36 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• WOULDN'T IT BE NICE IF PPL AT LEAST TOLD YOU WHAT STATE THEY WERE IN WHEN THE POSTED THESE QUESTIONS?
    Anonymous