what the h*ll is up with doctors!!!!

When dd was a month old I had a d&c. The doc prescribed me something incase of pain. Luckily I didn't take any. My back spasmed today so I googled this med to see if its safe to take while breastfeeing... Nope and this doc KNEW I was bf! I specifically asked if the med was ok and he said yes!!!! GGGGGRRRRR!!!!! Then yesterday I took dd in to get checked for thrush and the doc said that I should stop bf and pump cause I was in pain.... Ummm yeah I'm in pain... I have thrush.... She told me that breastfeeding always hurt her so she just pumped and that's what I should do from here on out if I don't want pain. Then dh was bouncing dd to get her to burp and she said not to do that cause it causes spit up. Um hello she's a baby, she's gonna spit up and I'd rather her spit up and need to eat again then have horrible pain from not burping (which she does get) what's with these stupid doctors!!!! AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!

mom06and09

Asked by mom06and09 at 2:07 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds like you need a new doctor. And I always check with my pharmicist for any perscriptions since that is their trade.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:08 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Well we are VERY happy with our reg doctor but she's out on matleave. There is another doc that we love as well, but he wasn't working and we've been battling the painful thrush all weekend so I took what I could get...
    mom06and09

Answer by mom06and09 at 2:11 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Then it's a good thing that she's just a stand in!
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:13 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Remember, the doctors work for YOU not the other way around. Act like it, temp doctor or not.

Do not take crap from them just because you fear that if you say something they'll be crappy to you. The doctors are so 'high and mighty' that they develop attitudes and the "I'm right you're wrong" complex that everyone feeds into by giving them special treatment.

I'm not saying be a total bitch, just that you stand up for you, your baby, and what you believe in.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 2:26 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• If she's just a temp. stand in - - there's probably not much you can do - - sorry she was so ignorant!!!!!!! For your thrush - I had that a couple of different times while nursing my kids, and I found a couple of things that helped: grape seed oil supplements and probiotics (just eating a lot of extra yogurt is good for that), expressing a small amount of milk before nursing to help with pain, boiling pacifiers after every use if baby uses them, and cutting out as much sugar from my diet as possible.
    Good luck!
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 2:40 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Here's what I always say about doctors and medication: DON'T TRUST THEM!
    Doctors don't know medication. They know how to diagnose but they don't know meds. If you want someone who knows meds up, down, and sideways, talk to a pharmacist, preferably one with the letters Pharm.D after their name. See, the first two years of Pharmacy school and medical school are exactly the same. Starting 3rd year, future doctors learn to diagnose disease. 3rd year Pharm.D candidates start learning which medications to prescribe for what conditions; all side effect, contraindications, etc.
    As long as you're nursing, the "bible" of medications that are safe/not safe is Medications and Mother's Milk by Dr. Hale, a doctor who has done extensive research on meds in nursing women. It's searchable on line and if that doesn't work, every La Leche League chapter has a copy in their lending library.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 2:42 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Well, it depends on where you got your info. Most medicines sayon the insert not to use while bf. I look everything up in Hale's, just in case.

And eema.gray, I SO want to agree with you, because my husband is a pharmacist. But they tend to say "just to be safe, use formula." Uh, no. My husband is the ONLY pharmacist at his hospital that will actually look it up. They started just saying "hey, here's a bf mom, find out if she can take this." He uses Hale's. It's pathetic. I was told to use formula for WELLBUTRIN by a pharmacist. No. It's a category C, but really, formula is technically a drug, and it should be at least a category c, you know?
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 3:05 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I was briefly engaged to a young and idealistic Pharm.D student . . . . I'm sure much of the idealism and knowledge fades once they get out of school.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 3:12 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Google hydroco/apap breastfeeding everything I'm reading says warning or precaution. I'm not risking it
    mom06and09

Answer by mom06and09 at 3:27 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Well I think you just have to look it at like this...
    As far as pain medications: it depends on where you got your info... I wouldn't trust most things online over a doctor, especially if it were your OB doctor that gave you the medications. I think almost all medications will say to either not take while breastfeeding or to ask your doctor first to cover their butt. If the medication were something like a narcotic... Percocet or Vicodin, both are safe to take while breastfeeding.

As far as the pumping and thrush.... well just an opinion from someone who didn't have a positive experience with breastfeeding. Breastfeeding is something that you really have to experience to know what you are talking about... the good and the bad of it (if someone only had good exerieces they aren't very helpful with the things that don't go well either, they just don't know)

cont...
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:29 PM on Dec. 1, 2009