To all mommies, do you let your elementary school child watch the evening shows, such as Disney?

I let my 6 year-old girl watch shows from Sprout, Nogin, Nick Jr., Discovery Kids, WETA kids and the like. Some of her cousins and friends prefer to watch shows like ICarly, Hannah Montana, the Sweet life of Zack and Cody, etc.. I believe such shows are too grown up for her age, as they show disrespect towards adults, they show sentiment of 'crash' toward the opposite sex, kissing, boyfriend, girlfriend, peer-presure, etc...I've explained it to her and she's okay with it. However, my husband totally disagrees with me. I'm not trying to shelter my child, I just want her to live her age..to think about playtime, chuck-e-cheese, playdates, sleepovers, pizza, festivals, crafts, and all the fun that comes with her age...When I think she's ready or at age to understand certain shows, I will allow it (maybe 2 years or so down the road, it depends)........am I being too strict??? What do you let your children watch on TV?

Butterflyfaerie

Asked by Butterflyfaerie at 2:19 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• if they like to watch it let them. id rather my kids watch something and be able to ask me questions about it and learna bout certain adult like things in my house then go to a freinds house and learn it or lern it via school. this way im mor eprepared. and as long as they have a grip on things then its fine. . .
    dont be a bubble mama!
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 2:30 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• My 5 yr ols son mostly likes to watch Sponge Bob and Drake and Josh are his 2 favorite shows. He also watches Go diego Go, backyardagins. As long as it is on kid channels I don't have an issue with it. I am usually right there by him while he is watching it so if he has questions I anwseer them for him. If things are not age appropriate I change the channel. My son also will watch soe older shows when I watch them, as we take turns, but I don't let him watch things that have a lot of bad ords, sex or violence.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 2:32 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• My youngest is in kindy and she watches some Disney at night with her brothers, but honestly she doesn't watch alot of it and I doubt she even fully understands it, she prefers sprout. She loves Hannah Montana but what 5- 7 y/o girl doesn't right now? the parts she pays attention to are the songs and there are funny moments that she understands. If you really watch the shows you will also see that the kids don't get away with treating the adults badly, and honestly that is a lesson i have no problems with my children learning.

My boys have been Disney addicts since before they were in school and I haven't had any problems with them learning bad things from the shows, my oldest is 11 I think I would have seen some signs by now. It boils down to parenting kids will only act on bad behaviors if you allow them to.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:39 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• My kids are 11, 7, 6, & 2... .they watch pretty much any cartoons/kid shows they want: Disney, Sprout, CN, Boomerang, all the Nick channels, etc.

I don't think you're too strict --- different rules/situations for different families doesn't make one right & the other wrong... it just means what works for one family is different than what works for another family. I don't think this is something worth conflict, though... so maybe you could compromise a bit if your husband feels as strongly on his point as you do on yours.

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 2:41 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• My 3yo's favorite show is iCarly. Probably for my 7yo daughter, too. They've been watching Hannah Montana since they were toddlers. My kids prefer those shows and so do I. there is just only so much Dora and Diego I can handle before my head explodes. I'd rather watch iCarly any day over "preschool" shows. In fact we all watch iCarly together (I even watch it when their not around). The kids are 9, 8, 7 and 3 and basically watch whatever they want. They know what is allowed and what isn't. They usually stick to the kid channels. We have a satellite dish and have a list of all the nick and disney channels for them (along with cartoon network, boomerang, hbo family and abc family). There are like 12 channels on the list. But they also can watch whatever else they want. Works for us.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:15 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• she's going to hear about it or watch it whether you want her to or not - maybe not at home but at friends houses, and at school.

have you actually EVER watched the shows? they are pretty good, the acting sucks but its for kids.

my 3year olds favorite show is iCarly.

I agree with justanotherjen.....I'd much rather gouge my eyes out with a spoon than have to watch more than 10 minutes of those "preschool" shows.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:35 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• My daughter is 7yrs old. And loves the Disney Channel.... Hannah Montana, Sweet life w/ Zach and Cody, Sweet life on deck, ETC.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 4:37 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I don't let my kids watch any of that stuff. Sponge Bob on very rare occasion. We stick with movies or educational TV.
    mommyheymommy

Answer by mommyheymommy at 4:54 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I let my 5 year old watch Spongebob, but he mostly watches Noggin/Nick Jr. shows. Such every night we watch Backyardigans and sometimes 1 of the Wonder Pets 10 minute episodes before bed.

I miss the cartoons Nick used to have like Doug, Rugrats, Ahhh Real Monsters and such, these days it's all these cheesy tween/teen mini soap opera shows that I just can't stand.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• My son (7) doesn't watch any of the evening shows on Disney or Nick. He gets to watch an hour of "kid" tv (depending on homework) after school, he sticks to PBS (he loves Fetch, Cyberchase, and Maya & Miguel). Sometimes he watches other tv after dinner (with me or DH), he also likes Food Network and some Science Channel shows. I've watched some of the other shows, but I don't really like them and he hasn't shown any interest in them, so we don't watch.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 6:19 PM on Dec. 1, 2009