Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am looking for housing help

I have an appointment tomorrow for Calworks (welfare) I am waiting for the housing athority to open up for applications in January! But I am currently staying with my brother who has a wife and two kids of his own! Also an annoying granpa on the baby boys side (isn't really my brothers baby but he is stepping up to the responsibility!) My brother is on section 8 and if it is found out I am here or even the Grandpa he will lose his section 8! The grandpa can't take the hint that they want this house to themselves because its their house but I know and respect what my brothers situation is and don't want to ruin it or our relationship!

Answer Question

Asked by Raiderdiva28 at 2:25 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Home & Garden

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • One of my clients is interested in Sec 8 also. Is the process long? can you just go online.

    When my friends came back from college, a neighbor ratted 'em out to the manager (Sec 8) and they had to move out. Maybe you can be an anonymous caller after you move out??

    Answer by Vero0724 at 2:27 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

  • if she calls then her brother loses what he gets and will cause troble no matter..second sec 8 can also sue him for how ever long he has been on sec 8. if your question is how do u help brother get rid of granpa then he just needs to sit him down and tell him its time to move ( it is better if ur moved out first that way he can tell granpa that now that u are moved out he can almost go back to normal ) im not sure what your question is but hope i could help a lil..also some people on sec 8 get approved in 2 days but sometimes theres an 8 month waiting list and u have to wait your turn. also they might ask were are u staying not sure if u should give brothers add ( seeing how he isent allowed to have other people living in his home besides wife and kids ) so u need to have an address to get mail..good luck....

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:53 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

  • I know that many section 8 housing programs also have senior housing so have your brother call his manager and talk to them that grandpa is there and won't leave. Honesty is the best way to handle this. If they want grandpa out then have the managment write a letter so grandpa gets the hint.
    You are going to make a whole lot of people homeless if you don't find somewhere to stay. You cannot use that address as a current address or it will blow the cover off the whole situation.
    Also if there is an eviction from Section 8 cannot live in it again. EVER again.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:07 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

  • First get on the waiting list... it can take 1-2 yrs before you are called bc the need is so great right now... (my dh works with these types of programs in his job)...
    second move out now... you can not go to welfare with your brothers home address bc that will cause him trouble with sec. 8.
    welfare usually will help with your sec.dep. too if you have a or find a place...
    After you move out your brother has a better chance of getting rid of grandpa...
    thirdly... when you go down to welfare, ask them for their list of sub-housing, they (or they should) have a list of places that have low income housing and you can call these places and get on their list too... DO NOT wait for sec 8 to approve you b4 getting a place, most places if low income will take your sec 8 voucher when/if you get approved for it even if you moved in without one....

    Answer by gmasboy at 9:54 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

  • Yeah, grandpa needs his own place (unless he's a felon and then they won't accept him at S-8). Try an extended stay motel.

    Answer by admckenzie at 9:16 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.