Working moms with kids in daycare?

Do you feel they should be at home raising their kids (if married) inseat of working just to bring in what little money they get after daycare costs anyway? Is it that they really need that money or would they rather be with adults all day instead of their children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:04 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• I can't speak for any family other than my own. My husband and I are in our early 20's with college degrees and we have one daughter. We knew before she was born that we both would have to work because as long as you have debt, you can't afford to stay home in my opinion. We don't want our daughter to have to do without anything and there is hardly ever any "extra" money once we finish paying bills. When we do have money left over, we use it to enjoy ourselves and we always do something with or for our daughter. I don't have the discipline that it takes to be a SAHM. My mom stayed at home with all three of us (I am the oldest), but she and my dad could afford it and we never did without anything either. Any sport we wanted to play, we got to play. Any instrument we wanted to play, we played. I'm sure my parents still had to make unmentioned sacrifices, but we never knew about it because we never did without.
    NewJoyOn1308

Answer by NewJoyOn1308 at 8:13 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Seriously? Why don't you grow up! Some families can't afford to not put their kids in daycare. Haven't you ever thought of that?? What little money they get after daycare? I was bringing home an extra $2000 a month after Daycare. You really think that's little money? My son was just fine there! He loved it! It's not that I didn't want to spend time with my child, it's just that I wanted him to have a better life and not have us living paycheck to paycheck! He was there for 7 hours and slept for 4 of those hours. So he was awake for 3 hours. I had him from 7-9. And then 4-8 when he goes to bed. 6 hours. So, yes, I was still raising my son and working.

Thankfully I work from home now and he doesn't need daycare, but to all the moms that need to put their children in daycare, they're doing what is best for their family!

You're an idiot!
    Anonymous

• i can tell you are proud of your decision by your anon status lol.. i have to use anon or people will be harrassing me for asking a question!
    Anonymous

• If i didn't bring in "that little money after daycare costs" we would all starve. Or we could go on welfare, then I would get bashed for staying home with my kids and people would tell me to get a job.
    Anonymous

• So basically you're asking other SAHMs what they think of working moms? If you truly wanted the answer you'd ask the working moms themselves. All you're looking for is to stir up drama. Here's an idea...go play with your kid and stop worrying about other moms. TROLL.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 3:36 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• If there is no return after daycare costs, then it's a tough call. But for many of us working moms, staying home is far more costly than you think. After child care, I was STILL bringing home 40% of the monthly bacon....as well as the insurance benefits.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:42 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• very good point.. medical insurance!
    Anonymous

• We are not all cut out to be Kool Aid moms. We can't all afford to stay home.

Some of us our proud to be able to support our families without having to rely on public assistance.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:37 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Very few people can afford to stay home full time at this point, and they should be proud of doing what they can to provid for their families. I am very lucky that me and hubby are working for the same company and they work our sheduals around eachother so tthat we don't have to do daycare... but if we did, while I would not wish to take that route, in todays economy it is some families only choice.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 4:46 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Have you maybe stretched your mind to consider (it's really hard, but try) that some working moms actually went to college? Then after that they went to grad school. Then they got a job and worked at it for 10 years before they got married and had kids. The end result is a situation where that mom is the primary breadwinner of the family. So, after paying the mortgage, the car payments, the utilities, the insurance, the grocery bills and day care, this woman still has money left over.

And as for what anyone else thinks I should be doing with my family, I doubt highly you want me to tell you where I think you're falling short as a parent, but send me your situation and I'll do my best.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 5:51 PM on Dec. 1, 2009