Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What can I do about this?

I work at a major company in the US and alot of the workers are thru a temp agency. I'm considered a long term temp and I've been here since March 06. The problem is, there are 3 of us that have been talking amongst ourselves and we found out that we are supposed to get a bonus, a weeks vacation, and paid holidays once we've worked 1800 hours within a 12 month period. We're full time so we do work that many hours, BUT we have to bring it to THEIR attention (temp agency) before they give us these "benefits". It doesnt even tell us this information in the handbook, only if you go online and dig deep into the website, so basically if you dont know about the benefits then you dont get them. We have to email the temp representative over any questions, but she fails to email back or wont email for like a week and wants to give us the run around. The whole agency is like that. (Cont).

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (3)
  • (Cont)What can I do about us getting our benefits? Is there any way we can get like "back benefits" bc like I said I've been here since March 06 so this coming March will be 4 years and I've never got crap from them.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

  • Did you find this information on the temp agency's web site or the client company's web site? You should make your boss and HR at the client company aware that the temp agency isn't giving you these benefits. At almost 4 years you should be past the point where the company would owe the agency a fee for converting you to perm. Make copies of everything you found on the web in case they take it down. You could always call an employment lawyer. Do be aware that as a temp you have very few rights and might lose your job. Do as much networking as possible. Go on and get linked to your boss and everybody else who might be helpful to you in all your future career searches. 3 years is too long to be in a temp position. Future interviewers are going to ask why they didn't convert you to perm.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

  • Locate the website for your state’s department of labor. You should be able to download a claim form; the state will advocate on your behalf.

    Answer by rkoloms at 4:34 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.