Which comes first? (may seem like a stupid question)

I am 38 weeks and I was just wondering which one comes first, does ur water break and then you start getting contractions or do you get contractions first and then your water breaks. I know that some times your water doesnt break and they have to break it... I was just wondering. sorry if it is a stupid question

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• For my first the contractions started first. For my second child the water broke first.

Answer by Bmat at 3:21 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• It can go either way.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:22 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I had to have my water broken for all three. but labour had started with contractions
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:25 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• thank you... i was just wondering, with my first i started bleeding and had to be rushed to L&D and never had true labor....
    Anonymous

• Yep, can go either way.
    Anonymous

• only 8% of labors start with the water breaking so chances are... you will start contracting first!!
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 3:34 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Many women's water never breaks. I was in labor for about 8 hrs. and my water never broke.
    Anonymous

• my water never broke until i was in full blown labor
    ColtsFan1912

Answer by ColtsFan1912 at 3:39 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• either way, and they don't have to break the water. that is your choice. sometimes they baby is born in the sac, which is perfectly fine :) personally, my water broke and then my labor started pretty soon after that. with my doula's youngest, her water didn't break until about 20 seconds before the baby was born. the OB was all excited that the baby might be a "caul baby" but then when she pushed, gush! :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 3:52 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• You never *have* to have your water broken, it usually happens sometime in labor. (It's usually an important intervention to avoid, for safety.)

I had one baby born after my water was broken over a week.
    And another baby was almost the opposite, broke while crowning in the intact-sac.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:22 PM on Dec. 1, 2009