22 month old with a stuffy/runny nose..HELP

My son has a bad stuffy nose that is also running. Sounds weird, I know, but I feel so bad for him. I was using baby vicks and that helped a little, but nothing is really doing anything to make him feel better. I know he is too young for cold medicine, but does anyone have any ideas? If it worked for you let me know please. Thanks

HuskerMommy08

Asked by HuskerMommy08 at 3:22 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• I know u said u r using vicks... have u tricked the vicks cream it works so much better than the other...... also if u have a humidifier use vicks in that...
    Anonymous

• I don't use Vicks, it's medicated and I don't like using that on my children. You can get an all natural unmedicated one, with eucylpytus and lavender that will help him. Sit in a steamy bathroom with him to loosen up his chest. You can always use saline drops for his nose. If you have a cool mist vaporizer, you can run that during naps and bedtime. There is a cough/cold syrup called Umcka at whole food stores, but it is for 2 and up, when will he be 2? I gave it to my son before he was two, I just cut the dosage. It is all natural, no meds in it. You can most likely find it at your grocery store in the organic section.
    Anonymous

• my ped recommends against using Vicks or any type of med in a vaporizer, and I agree, do you want your baby breathing in medication. Get something non medicated.
    Anonymous

• He will be 2 Feb 1st and there isn't anything in his chest. Now it is just a head cold and his nose is REALLY buggin him. He can't go 2 minutes without touching or rubbing or wiping his nose. We are using baby wipes to wipe his nose now so it doesn't get irritated but it will eventually, I just want this to go away.
    HuskerMommy08

Answer by HuskerMommy08 at 3:30 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Have you tried using that little sucky thing you use when their babies? My 15 month old has the same thing right now and we just keep that on hand and she can breathe sooo much easier when it's cleaned out she just doesn't like us doing it to much/
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 3:33 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I wonder if they have Neti Pots for tots? Those things are wonderful for adults and cleaning out the nose.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Saline nasal spray and a nasal aspirator. Toddlers don't usually cooperate, but it will help clear the stuff out of his nose.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 5:41 PM on Dec. 1, 2009