A honest question to atheists? Or those who believe in absolutely nothing

With everything that is in the world, and please no bashing from anyone. (when I say anyone, I mean Christians too, I want this to be civil, not a bash fest PLEASE) I am a Christian, and I understand somewhat of what everyone who believes in something. Rather I am right or wrong in my beliefs, I know there is something supernatural out there. There is too much out there that can't be explained. This question is aimed at those who believe in NO supernatural existance at all of any sort. I don't understand that, I was hoping that maybe someone can enlighten me as to why? Rather it be ghosts, or a god/goddess. I see religion as a why to explain the supernatural that happens. But I can't seem to wrap my mind around someone who believes in nothing at all. I am asking out of curiosity, not to bash.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Forgive me if I have any mis-spellings, I cut my finger last night and I am not typing so good.
    Anonymous

• I don't believe in religion but I do believe in something more. Anybody who watches the science channel and all their topics on the universe, pulsars, black holes and just the big bang theory in general has to at least wonder what else is out there...and why are we here. Funny that science gives me faith in an afterlife. My DH on the other hand believes that when we die we no longer exist. That makes me sad.

Anonymous

• Thank you 12:45, this is OP, there is just so much that we don't know and there is so much that is out there, I just can't understand how some people believe in absolutely nothing and I want to understand how and why? I seriously can't wrap my mind around it.
    Anonymous

• I guess I believe in something 'more' in the sense that the universe itself is vast and interconnected. However, I don't believe in the supernatural. I just think that the natural world is much more complicated than we understand. I don't think anything exists that is supernatural- just outside our understanding of what is natural. Does that make sense?
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:19 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• It's not so much that things are unexplainable, but that they have yet to be explained. More and more, we learn the answers to questions through research. It's exciting to think about all people will have learned decades from now.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:43 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• OP here -- So Freela, are you saying that some of the things that appear to be supernatural could very well be natural, it's just we don't understand it? Am I understanding you correctly?
    Anonymous

• I would never claim to believe there is no being out there that is more powerful/smarter/greater than mankind. Given the humongous size of our universe, alien life is quite possible. There could even feasibly be beings on earth we don't have the ability to detect yet (our ancestors were once ignorant of single cell organisms). But I do believe we all follow the same laws of physics.

The great strength of scientific proof is that the event must be repeatable. If I drop an apple, it wil fall to the earth and will do so if I drop an apple 10,000 times, proving the gravitational attraction between two objects. The problem with religion is the inability to prove the miracles and works of a god. There is only written text and eye witness accounts from centuries ago to rely on, often defying huge amounts of evience to the contrary.

I feel the supernatural is only the natural yet to be discovered and explained.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 5:21 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Just because we don't have all the answers, doesn't mean the answers aren't there waiting to be found. The supernatural should not be the default explanation for everything not readily explainable.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 6:45 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Essentially, lack of proof. I've never had a reason to believe there is any kind of deity watching over me, etc etc. I question everything and as of yet, I haven't gotten a satisfactory answer.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 6:59 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Well that is because although religion tries to explain the supernatural, science tries to explain religion. And when it cannot it is then non existent until proven otherwise.

Everyone believes something the big question is rather they believe IN it. 

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 7:33 PM on Dec. 1, 2009