Child wont listen!

My 5yo DD just got her 1st report card.
Outstanding marks all across...except for 4 N's in: Listens attentively, Follows directions, Follows class rules & Stays on task.

At times she can be a little stubborn at home, she has a pretty strong personality, but I never have to tell her something more than twice.

I've sat down and talked with her about her behavior at school, taken privileges away, offered rewards for good behavior but it doesn't seem to help.

Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:40 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• She's 5. I'm guessing it's her first year in school. These tasks are difficult for the best of 5 year olds. It will take some time for her to learn to adapt and develop the attention span her teacher is looking for. She sounds like a normal 5 year old to me. I think time and maturity will work with your child. We expect too much of 5 year olds today.
    Anonymous

• Yeah I wouldn't take privileges at home away from her because she doesn't listen as well at school. Teachers handle the discipline for behavior at school, and usualy send a note home if behavior is really bad, such as hitting another child. If a child doesn't listen they loose a privilege there, such as: sitting at a table alone or not being allowed to play at her favorite station (like art or kitchen center)!

I know my son, talks about how they have lights, if you have a green light you can go to whatever station you want and you have all privileges, if you are yellow, you are on warning and may have lost a privilege and if you go to red for bad behavior you lose privileges and a note gets sent home. My son has come clean about being put on yellow twice, but he has never been in the red.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:08 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Talk with the teacher. The two of you can work together on this. I am sure your daughter is not the first child to have N's. I bet the teacher will have a thought or two on the topic and will have many ideas as to what to try to make things better.
    Your DD needs to have a punishment every time she is naughty.
    G/L
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 1:13 PM on Dec. 2, 2009

• If your daughter entered kindergarten before she was fully five-years-old it could be a case of immaturity. My family had a similar problem with my niece. The book "My Child Won't Listen and other early childhood problems" by Linda Griffin, MS was helpful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:30 AM on Dec. 3, 2009