Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 16 yr. old is becoming abusive!!

Ok so I am a newly single mother.My husband of 17 yrs. left us and is living in another state now.He is out there for work and who knows what else.He is still helping with the bills and paying the rent though,(thankfully)We have been separated for about a year now. I have been doing my best to be the sole caretaker of my 2 children but with my 16 yr. old boy it is becoming increasingly more difficult.I understand that he may feel anger and resentment over all this but he is taking this whole "man of the house thing" WAY to far. His dad is the one who made the mistake of calling him that.His dad isn't even allowing me to take care of the bills anymore,he has giving my son control over his checking account and now my SON is responsible for paying the bills online.So he really loves this and what a power trip for a 16 yr. old! Well anyway so I have been VERY lonely lately and my self esteem has been VERY low. will continue.......

Answer Question

Asked by flowerchid72 at 3:48 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

Level 5 (83 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Oh hell no.....sorry but id be nailing ex DH for some CS and telling him to take a hike. Better nip this stupidity in the bud now.

    Answer by Sandyr911 at 3:56 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

  • You need to take control of your life. You need your own income so you can pay your own bills.
    It is YOUR home. Not your ex's. If you ned financial help, get CS or alimony, but stop letting them control your bills and finances.

    Answer by Gealach at 3:58 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

  • You really need to find a way to get your own income for one. But most importantly, you cannot allow your child that much control. What if he decides not to pay the bills, and instead takes that money and blows it all on junk? Call the bank if you have to. Tell them the situation. I don't think kids can have access like that. Make up a story if you have to, and tell them that the account was hacked, so they can get YOU the information to gain control. Finally, make the divorce final, and make sure to bring your husband's behaviour up in court. This is not a good situation you are in at all. Good luck!

    Answer by NightPhoenix at 4:01 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

  • I have added more to this question....I really need some advise asap

    Answer by flowerchid72 at 4:19 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

  • Please read the rest of this question it's under the same heading.

    Answer by flowerchid72 at 4:28 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

  • Oh hell to the NO. Go to a woman's shelter. There are resources. I am not saying move out but go get some advice b/c this abusive what you husband is doing. The ultimate in control and using your son to have control. They will get you some resources. PLus you can go to legal aid and see a lawyer for advice.

    I don't understand how your son can have control. Is his name on the account? Or is yours? Have you talked to your ex?

    Answer by Doodlesrevenge at 9:31 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.