Should i be worried?

my little girl is 18 months old and she weighs 18 pounds.. She has only gained 11 pounds since she was born. Her crazy doctor says she is just not much of an eater and acts like its no big deal but when i took her to her appointment for WIC the nutritionist gave her all zeros and asked me alot of questions about her diet. Since that check up i have managed to get her to drink milk but since she drinks milk she wont eat in the mornings. Like today she has had milk of course and i just got her to eat some of a hotdog and pickle but not a whole lot of either one. Im thinking about taking her to a new doctor. Should I? She was having problems with low white blood cells when she was like 13 months. her doctor tested her for about a month and they evventually went up but he hasnt tested her since and everytime i take her up there cuz she is sick she always has a sore throat he says but that is what she had when her cell count was lo

twogirls2010

Asked by twogirls2010 at 4:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't know whether or not you should be worried about her (even though, it really doesn't sound like she's eating enough), but either way, if you're not comfortable with the care she's getting from her current doctor, you SHOULD switch to a different one! And never discount a mother's instinct, if you feel something is wrong, you have every right to be taken seriously by your doctor...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:24 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I'd be paying more attention to the doctor than the morons at WIC. They DON'T know it all like they think they do.
    Anonymous

• I have a 17 MO OLD. She has only gained 10 pounds since birth. She eats well. We make sure that we give her water with breakfast and then milk afterward. Otherwise she will drink the milk and not eat. Her pedi isn't worried. We aren't on Wic either. I would pay more attention to your doc then the wic nutritionist. Your doc has her growth chart and is monitoring her growth properly. My LO can eat me under the table. You also have to factor in your metabolism and her fathers metabolism. You just have to figure out how to get her to eat and get the milk into her. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:57 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• You refered to your doctor as the "crazy doctor". Yes, it's time for a new doctor. A doctor is of limited value to you if you don't trust him/her. Some kids are very picky eaters at this age and appear to be able to survive on just air. I don't know anything about the backgrounds of WIC nutritionists but since someone is raising a concern and you're clearly concerned, get another doctor's opinion.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:06 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Have the Doctor write out a note that the child be diagnosed with failure to thrive. If you stand firm in the request the doctor will comply. (If not its time to switch doctors. ) Once you get the note, give it to WIC and they will issue coupons for pediasure. It is a nutritional drink for kids who don't gain weight. Best of luck to you.
    slvrspoon98

Answer by slvrspoon98 at 8:44 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Okay, it may happen, but it is not the norm to gain only 10 lbs since birth, pickles have zero calories in them, will she eat potatoes, corn, veggies? I think you need a new doctor and I think you need her blood checked again ASAP, having a low white blood cell count is not good at all, and they should have investigated it further with everything else going on,,, ie not gaining weight no appetite, these can be some pretty big signals of something wrong, good luck mom!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:11 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Well my son is 2 and weighs 25 lbs.. he's tiny.. peanut, he weighed 21 lbs at 18 months, he just does not care about eating and he is SO active, I am always running around with food or water or juice to try to get him to drink or eat it - we have routine meals but I want him to have more snacks than he does since he eats like 2 b ites and is all done,. My mom assures me I was jsut the same way - but even so, I had 3 different doc opinions.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:10 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Maybe try slipping more heathy fats into her diet, so makke sure that it's whole milk, try cooking things in olive oil, make smooties with whole milk yogurt, avacado, and coconut oil. maybe nut butters, this is what I do wiith my son because he is so active and doesn't sit still very long to eat
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 12:07 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• all kids are different and I agree that if you feel worried about her growth a second opinion would only make you feel better! My DS tries to drink alot in the morning and almost skip almost every meal but I an mean and make him eat atleast half of his meal before he gets his drink. I do give him a little to drink when he gets up but that is it. I would go ahead and make an appointment. always listen to your instinct!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Thanks everyone! She does eat veggies and fruit. she is just not a big meat eater or bread. She loves beans of any kind, apples, bananas, grapes, boiled potatoes, onion, cheese, etc...... I think it maybe my grandmother and her bestfriend debbie. See before i left her daddy she had not ever eat candy. now that we live down here she thinks thats all she is suppost to eat and even when i say no debbie ends up giving it to her anyway when im not standing there.
    twogirls2010

Answer by twogirls2010 at 4:35 PM on Dec. 2, 2009