2 month old started daycare this week and feeling so guilty...

We just started our daughter in daycare this week and I'm working fulltime. I feel like just a bad mom for dropping such a young baby off at daycare with strangers. I feel like she will not be getting the effects of growing up with her mommy. Instead she is going to grow up with people who don't care about her as much as her parents. It is worth it for me to work because I make a decent amount. Staying home with her is not really an option financially. I know millions of people send their kids to daycare, but I just feel so crappy about it. Will she be okay spending so much time there at this young of an age? Will we still have the same mother/daughter connection even though I'm not with her all day?

moviemom22

Asked by moviemom22 at 4:23 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think every working mother feels guilty about leaving their babies. I know I did. Of course you'll still have that connection! It takes more than working 8hrs a day to break the mother/child bond.
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 4:25 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Yes, you will still have your Mommy/daughter connection. She will always love you NO MATTER what. It must be very hard for you right now. You have to do what you have to do to provide for her. Hang in there Mama!

Best Wishes!

Erika
    http://www.4MyFamilyandMe.com
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 4:28 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I went through the same feelings as I am sure all of us who HAVE to work did. My DD has been in home daycare since she was 6 weeks old and loves her "Debbie". The best part is when they are old enough to be REALLY glad to see you when you pick them up!

It will get easier!
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 4:33 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Yes and yes.

NOTHING breaks the mother-daughter connection except mom abusing daughter. You're not doing that.

There is research showing that daycare kids actually have some advantages over their at-home peers in school, too.

ALL moms feel guilt over this at first. ALL of them.

A few of us then decide that guilt is a waste of our time that won't change anything. I sure did. My feeling guilty wasn't going to change my situation one bit. So I decided then that guilt was for murderers, and to instead put the energy into making the most of the time I DID have with my son.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:24 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• i didn't feel any guilt. i think because i felt so comfortable with the daycare situation. i was so happy to find at home daycare that i knew the people and the kids their were so happy and friendly. it was more like an family environment then a regular business. i know if i had stayed in new jersey it would of been differnet. i am in pa now. the guilt will go away. its easier when they are younger. that is another reason i did it. i didn;t want her to be 2yrs old and dscreaming her head off . my parents at first didn;t want me to do it and my mother said she would stay with the baby but they are retired and way social so it helped them alot also. everyone is happy. good luck. you are doing a great job and no matter what u will always have that bond.
    Anonymous