What would you have done? (ur son acting up all of the time)

Ok my 8 yrs. old son just pissed me off. I pick him up from school he has a snack I tell him to get ready for some homework to be done, He's like MOM I just got home so I say ok you can have 30 minutes to play or whatever but be ready.
Well he starts to bother my daughter and the rest of the kids. I blew up bc I had already talk to him once already. Anyway I told him to go do his homework he gets it and stomps away mumbling...aarrgg!!! Venting....Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:24 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• So you used homework as a punishment? Not good. He has been cooped up all day in school being quiet and behaving. He needs to have some time to run and play and be loud and have fun. Bothering your other kids? What does that mean? He probably was just playing with them. Let the kids deal with it. Kids handle things better with kids than some parents. Let the kids learn to deal with him. When I went to school I came home and did homework but the school made my mom stop me from doing that and forced me to get out and play. We did homework after supper after that.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:29 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• You gave him 30 mins to play, why wasnt that enough for him?
    I think thats a good amount of "steam letting" from being in school. Then he can do his homework.

Im with you OP, he was being snitty.

If he is anything like my 5 yr old and bugging his siblings then you did the right thing by stopping it. Kids can deal with some things but if its hurting and the like vs just play wrestling or play of some other kind then a parent should step in.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:33 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Nohe is eight yrs. of age and was just getting on my nerves.
    Anonymous

• sounds like you need to be more consistent and learn to stand your ground.

You pick him tell him its homework time, he whines you cave.

then he picks on other kids (like kids will do ) then you use homework as a punishment??? um not a good thing at all....

You need to set up the ground rules and be consistent with him.  He needs to know ahead of time what is expected of him and what happens (punishment wise) if he doesn't do what he is supposed to.

give him time to run and play when he gets home then tell him its time to buckle down. have him do HM for a bit then give him a 10 min. break for every 30-45 minutes of HM he earns a 10 minute break.

Anonymous

• My son is 7 and in his school, they flip cards when they get in trouble. Green is what they start on, the first time they get in a little trouble they fip it to yellow which is a warning, then blue: which is 5min off recess, then orange, which is 10min off recess and whatever, then red which is the last card and they call ur parents or write a note. He has a calendar which comes home and says what he got on and what he did to get on it. if he gets past yellow he doesnt watch t.v for like 2 days and sometimes if hes bad all week, no t.v and no toys too. He lies alot, steals, was hitting other kids and was gonna get us kicked out of our home cause of it. I ended up getting him on Adderall for adhd, hes smart but was just not sitting still in class or listening. I sometimes hate having him home cause hes annoying and i wish id ony had one kid and him being older ud think it was easier but not.
    Anonymous

• I know that sounds bad that i hate having him home but he starts his shit when he gets home and bothers his 2yr old sister. I ask him to do his stuff wheh he gets home which is wash his hands, then eat then sometimes he'll go upstairs for an hour then does his homework. But I figure if he gets in trouble at school alot and at home and steals from me like things in my room even if put up, then he should not care if he does homework after he eats right after school. He has been hiding candy, which we dont buy but was from halloween, and things that was mine, like I found my ultrasound pics, some I wasnt puttin in my baby album, in his room. Yeah they get to play enough at school like color, do crafty things, go outside, talk with friends, have b-days,have gym, art, so yeah they should do homework almost after school. I also when he gets in trouble, make him read and do his workbooks and other work sheets but not alot.
    Anonymous