what do you think of women or children being on medical card and what do you think about stay at home moms

2 things that have got to me today that a stranger said. they said it was wrong to be on medical card only cuz of being pregnant and its not right and that being a stay at home mom is wrong too. What do all of you think? please try to stay nice as i don't want it to turn into a debate.

alyssa1

Asked by alyssa1 at 4:31 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Money & Work

• There is nothing wrong with being a SAHM if you can afford it, I do think it is wrong to choose to be a SAHM and receive government assistance just because you want to be home with your child.
    Anonymous

• I'll answer since i posted. I had medical card while pregnant with my first and now have it again due to being pregnant again. i am not married so i have no insurance and qualify for it. my child is on it temp. as we hit a rough spot with my SO's job but he is fixing to be fulltime and will have insurance on him, her and the baby after its born. i will not have any insurance after having baby #2 because we are not married. I am a stay at home mom and we may live pay check to paycheck but we don't run out of anything nor do without anything and we have extras. we pay our bills we have all we need and like i said some extras. i just want to know how others feel.
    alyssa1

Answer by alyssa1 at 4:34 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• This is just going to be a HUGE debate... of who is in the right and whose not...
    Anonymous

• i receive no other government assistance and only on medical card due to being pregnant which i was on birth control we can take care of our kids just not in a position where i have insurance. i am not choosing to be a sahm living off the government its nothing like that.
    alyssa1

Answer by alyssa1 at 4:36 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• to anonymous if its going to be a debate oh well just post your answer.
    alyssa1

• :

* alyssa1

We do the same thing. My husband is laid off currently, but we live paycheck to paycheck. Our girls never go without, sometimes we do as the parents, but I would rather it be us than my children. They need to be taken care of before anything else. Bills are always paid, and YES I am a SAHM, and I love it. I was on the medical card with both of my girls. Due to not having any other insurance. During my 2nd pregnancy my DH was out of work, he did have a very awesome job that paid for our insurance but has been laid off due to lack of work. Hoping that he gets the call back. If not we will be moving again to find the work. In this economy it is very hard to not be on some sort of assistance. I think it is wrong for others to put shame on those who need the help. We all need help once in a while. It doesn't make us any less of a person!!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 4:39 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I should probably clarify that my husband found work during my 2nd pregnancy. I forgot to write that in!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 4:41 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Are you asking for opinions or trying to justify your situation?
    Anonymous

• I personally dont like the idea of paying for someone else's health care. I just dont think its my responsibility. Saying that, I do understand that at times things happen and there is no other option but to get assistance for that. If its temporary, I feel better about it. As for SAHM, I am one and I think its a great thing. I beleive that its best for a parent to be home with children for as long as possible. But you have to be able to afford it. You have to weigh the difference is working and using daycare and staying home and not having that income at all.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 5:05 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Nothing you have mentioned leads me to believe you are incapable. I'm only hearing excuses. IF you really had a problem with it YOU would find a solution that would allow you to pay for your own medical insurance. You could take in one or two children to babysit and use your income to pay for health insurance, or you and your BF could get married and you could be put on his insurance - if those options don't suit you then come up with one that does. Your excuses aren't really making your case. You should think about what YOU could do to make your situation better rather than spend time trying to justify what you intend to do. If you don't want to make your situation better and less of a burden on the rest of us, at least don't insult us by "explaining" why you really have to do it this way and you don't see anything wrong with it.
    Anonymous