3 year old scared of Santa?

My 3 year old refuses to sit on santa's lap,he was even hesitant about standing by him even with my BF holding his hand. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to help ease his "fear" of Santa??

dakotasmommy06

Asked by dakotasmommy06 at 4:35 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• good luck lol. it's totally normal for kids to be scared of santa at a young age
    Anonymous

• Time is about the only thing that will help. Just keeping talking to him, reassuring him.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:41 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• sometimes it's not the santa the kids are picking up on it's the man in the santa suit they don't want to be by. my son will go by some santas and not others.
    northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 4:41 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Kid can sometimes sense things or had something happen to them . for all you know the guy is a pervert . I wish parents would respect the child's wishes and stop forcing what YOU LIKE on them,. you sit in Santa lap.
    Anonymous

• Gee, I think that's the age that: my sister doesn't have a picture with sister, I was screeming in the picture (why my sister couldn't go alone I don't know) Both of my kids don't have pictures with Santa at that age. (and my oldest would only stand near him the next year). The yr my youngest was afraid my oldest went alone. I think for some reasin it's the age. Don't force it. Write a letter and next year will prob. be fine.
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 4:53 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• My boys i had to wait till they grew out of it, my daughter has always gone running for santa she had no fear. eventually my boys decided they wanted to do it but it took time. you might try going several times on different days and just walk by and look, maybe if santa become familiar to your son he will want to go see him at some point before christmas.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 4:53 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• My son has always been scared of santa. we got a picture this year he made a funny smile but it's better than the second time he saw santa he was screaming his lungs out.
    aidensmomma508

Answer by aidensmomma508 at 4:55 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Santa is a stranger. We constantly tell them to not talk to or go with strangers and then have them sit on Santa's lap. I would be confused and scared too.
    When my daughter was 3 she was terrified of Santa coming in the house, so we had to leave all the Santa gifts and stockings outside (put them there right before the kids got up). It was the only way she would go to sleep Christmas Eve. lol
    Anonymous

• Mine were never afraid of Santa, but alot of kids are. It's normal. Santa can be very frightening. I mean, he's a big guy with a beard in a red suit. Don't force your son to sit on his lap if he's scared. You can show him that YOU'RE not scared of him, but he'll have to learn on his own time not to be scared.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 5:11 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• mine have all been afraid of him.

don't push it, when they're ready they're ready.

heck mine were afraid for a long time that a strange guy was coming into the house in the middle of the night - in this day and age...thats one of the HUGE fears people have.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:32 PM on Dec. 1, 2009