Serious question about sister-in-law

My sister-in-law just had a baby and she smokes marijuana. She is also breastfeeding. I was telling her that the THC in marijuana is affecting the baby through her breast milk. She started arguing with me and told me that it won't hurt the baby. I also told her that if they test the baby it will show up. She still doesn't believe me. Please moms, HELP. I don't want to see my neice get taken!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:38 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She is doing more harm than good to that baby. Yes BF is good for the baby, but she will also consume whatever mom consumes. I would report her b/c that to me is child abuse, whether she sees it or not.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:44 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• http://www.cannabis-med.org/english/faq/20-breastmilk.htm

http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/marijuana.html

I would think a bigger problem would be that you never know what else might be mixed in with the marijuana. Unless they grow their own she cannot know for sure.
    Anonymous

• Maybe try buying a drug test and test the baby's urine. That would show her it is getting into the baby's system. I would consider reporting her. They probably won't take the baby, just make her stop smoking marijuana and keep an eye on her for a while.
    Anonymous

• Call it in. You're not doing her a favor by letting that baby be harmed like that! Not only is she endangering the baby, what she's doing is ILLEGAL.
    Anonymous

• If it's in the air, baby is exposed. Whether or not she breastfeeds.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:25 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/marijuana.html

It's the same as if she were taking Vicodin or any other iffy medication (most of which nobody would think twice about). I would be concerned about it being laced though. Here in California most of the marijuana comes from dispensaries & you know what's in it, but it's not like that everywhere. If you're really concerned go ahead & buy a drug test & test the baby's urine in front of her to show her that it sometimes shows up (but don't be surprised if it doesn't, sometimes the potency isn't strong enough once it filters all the way to baby's pee).
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 8:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Eh. In the scheme of things people can do to babies, this is low on my list of "bad mother". And if she's smoking around the baby it might actually be better if she continues to breastfeed. Babies who are exposed to any type of smoke are at an increased risk of SIDS - and breastfeeding is protective of this. So actually her continuing to breastfeed might be better than not.

She should stop smoking the pot, but, IMO pot is less harmful than cigarettes and you all wouldn't be hopping on the CPS bus if it were cigarettes momma was smoking.
    Anonymous

• And, since baby is not in the hospital any more I don't see why anyone would test her or the baby.

Unless you tell someone or she tells someone she shouldn't tell.

It sounds like bad judgement on her part for telling you at all.
    Anonymous