omg the pain

Thrush hurts like hell. Hopefully those of you who haven't gotten it never will but for those of you who have what have you done to stop the pain? I'm putting nystatin on to get rid of it, but I'm in so much pain I'm considering giving up breastfeeding just so I dot have to deal with it again. I really want to continue bf but I just don't know how much more of this pain I can take.

mom06and09

Asked by mom06and09 at 4:40 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had thrush with my first child. I nursed through it. Nursing was more important to me than some pain. I also delivered all naturally though.
    Anonymous

• So did I but my labor was a total of 1 hour
    mom06and09

Answer by mom06and09 at 4:50 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I used lotrimin AF, NOT nystatin. Nystatin has sugar that feeds the yeast. Worst "cure" on the planet.

Lotrimin had me pain free the next day. Wipe it off before feeding.

Kellymom.com has the best thrush cures.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:27 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I'm using both the Nystatin as well as yogurt. I heard if you put some yogurt on right after feeding it should help cool the nipples. So far it helps slightly but it still hurts like hell & I have gotten to the point where I pump twice a day & nurse only at night, the rest is formula because of the pain...but I wont give up all together that easily. Also try eating a lot of yogurt, it naturally fights yeast. I heard of using Gential Violet, but I was skeptical because the pharmacist said it was not meant to be ingested & was not a good idea.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 8:23 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I agree with gdiamante .. Nystatin is the worst for thrush. I'd go with lotrimin or if lotrimin does't work go get some gential violet. You'll feel better a lot faster if you use the right medication/herb
    Anonymous

• I went to the doctors and they put Gentian Violet on my nipples and in my daughters mouth I think within a day the pain was much better and about 3 days later of days later. I was feeling great again I would get some Gentian Violet You'll feel MUCH better
    twogirlsandmore

Answer by twogirlsandmore at 12:16 PM on Dec. 2, 2009