I'm running a temp close to 103degrees can I get my 2 week old sick as well? Should I continue to breastfeed?

JaymieZ

Asked by JaymieZ at 5:08 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Absolutely - you are actually protecting your baby by breastfeeding through sickness.

- http://www.llli.org/FAQ/sick.html
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 5:12 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• breastfeeding is the BEST defense against whatever bug you've got! every time your baby nurses, they get antibodies against the virus that your body is fighting. you can not give the baby your illness from breastfeeding.
    try to stay hydrated!!! its super important that you get enough to drink while you're nursing, especially when you're running a fever. if someone else can take care of the baby while you rest, then have them do so, and just bring it in to nurse- until you're feeling better.
    you always risk getting someone else sick when you are, but you should NOT stop nursing. like i said, you're giving the baby immunity!!!!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:12 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• btw- did you have a c-sec? if you did, i would be concerned about infection... and if thats the case, you should get checked out.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:13 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Yes yes yes! When you're sick is actually the best time.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:20 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I agree with the other ladies. Keep breastfeeding. I've been sick twice since having my daughter and EBF and she has yet to get sick. Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids and if you are having vomiting or diarrhea call your OB's office to get a prescription so you don't get dehydrated.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:34 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Your baby can get sick if you are sick, but not from breastfeeding. She's already been exposed if you are symptomatic. Your milk contains the antibodies to help fight your particular illness, therefore, nursing is the best thing for her, sick or not.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:42 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Breastfeeding is the best antibodies to keep your baby from catching what you have. Don't stop!
    Anonymous

• Yes, keep breastfeeding (plus, you can do it without getting up). Get everything you need and crash out. I was sick with a little immobile baby once, and I laid on the couch all day, and had everything for her within reach.

But do get yourself checked out. That's pretty high, and it could be an infection from the birth.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 7:56 PM on Dec. 1, 2009