I am trying to breastfeed and pump at the same time. How can I produce more milk? I go back to work next week and I am worried about having a good supply stocked up. Is there anything I can eat or do to produce more milk?

lilloech

Asked by lilloech at 5:15 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Let me start by referring you to the Breastfeeding Moms group for Q&A on this. There's a directory post with links to all kinds of basic information, including all the tricks for increasing supply.

What pump? Used when? These things make a difference.

How much ARE you pumping? One half ounce to two ounces a session is normal. Baby needs an ounce to an ounce and a half per hour you're apart....so for an eight hour day, eight to twelve ounces is great. Put it in servings of about three ounces.

Let's see where your answers to all of this take us.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:19 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• You can try pumping right after you feed her. This may give you a little bit. Then I always wake up in the middle of the night and pump. My daughter is 2 months old and she drinks 5 ounces 3 times while she is at daycare. She has a very healthy appetite. It is hard for me to keep up on the pumping. Luckily I stocked up in the freezer for the last two months. I also pump at work twice a day. When I pump at work I usually get two 5 ounce bottles full. Someone just told me today that you should look at a picture of your baby while you are pumping. I thought that sounded funny, but he said it has something to do with your hormones. I'm willing to try it.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 5:33 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• yes eat oatmeal and drink Mother's Milk Tea. both r for increasing supply. go on kellymom.com for tips on more ways also tips on working and pumping
    Anonymous