What would you do? Please help..

My dd who is 4 years old has had weight issues since she was born. She is only 29 pounds and has been this same weight for over a year now. She will gain 1 pound and get up to 30, but then drop down back to 29.. I don't know what more I can do. She has already had a feeding tube, but that was removed when she was 2. She has had a nissen fundoplication *to correct reflux* Last September, but she still will not eat, I can see her ribs, and her spine.. I am getting very worried. What would you do? The doctors don't seem to be concerned, ideas??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:47 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Kids' Health

• She may have Failure to thrive. That is how my cousin wsa. By the time she was like 2.5 she was still only like 15 lbs. My aunt ttook her to all these drs and still nothing. She ate everything in sight and never gained weight. Now she is 18 and still is just about 90 lbs and she packs away the food. If the dr isn't concerned I wouldn't worry took much. If it is b/c of lack of food try thingd like ensure to make sure she gets her vitamins or chewy gummy vitamins.GL
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 5:52 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• She was on a pediasure diet for a very long time due to malnourishment since she refuses to eat anything. I have to force her to eat at times. She has already been diagnosed with failure to thrive, and feeding intolorence. But that's my problem, she just wont eat!! I can't give her vitamins either because she has massive diarrhea from them.
    Anonymous

• Will she maybe drin milk shakes and you can throw in a bunch of fruit so she still gets some vitamins? Is there any food that she does eat? Have you tried talking with a nutritionist? that might help, they might have more ideas.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 5:58 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• My oldest son was put on meds for ADHD and he lost his appetite completely... so he dropped SO much weight... he REFUSED to eat. His ped recommended that in the morning instead of milk or juice, give the kid one of those Carnation Instant Breakfasts... they are loaded with protein and carbs and all the good stuff he needed to put on the weight,and to him, it was just a glass of chocolate milk. Try it, and GL, I hope she is OK... and I hope this helps...
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 6:19 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• if she'll drink any kind of juice, you could try mixing it with aloe, it works wonders! my grandmother has had surgery to her esofagus and has severe reflux, she is skin and bones and really doesnt eat because it hurts to swallow and then comes the burning. when she comes to to florida i make her pear juice, which she loves, with aloe and before she goes back home she gain at minimun 5-6 lbs.

you can buy a plant or a leaf at the market. cut the sides of the leaf and place in a glass with a couple of inches of water for 4-5 days, changing the water everyday which should be red, then cut off pieces and mix in blender. it has no taste at all, so it wont change the juice.

vainco

Answer by vainco at 6:24 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Are they charting her height and weight at each visit? Where does she fall on the chart?  Go here to this site and look around..

https://magicfoundation.org/www 

start reading the front page, most likely right in the center under Is Your Child Growing Normally?

See if you can find any answers or information there..  

Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 4:06 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• What percentage was she eating orally before the gtube was removed? If she was eating enough orally and then suddenly stopped & became the world's pickiest eater, there is definately something going on with her and you need to dig deeper. If she wasn't eating enough orally when the gtube was removed, it was probably removed too soon & she's probably going to need it back. If she has food aversions, she should be receiving feeding therapy to help her with her issues, which could be sensory-based, behaviorally-based or both; check into feeding therapy programs in your area. If her FTT is severe enough that it is affecting her growth & development, then you may want to check into an in-patient intensive feeding therapy program.

Good luck!
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:34 PM on Dec. 2, 2009