Im just a tacky person I guess.

Every year my mil asks me what the kids want for Christmas. I know that she has a dollar amount in her mind that she wants to spend. If I can think of something they want that year that cost that much I let her know. But usually they dont want/need anything that expensive.... so I tell her what they want.

So this year, I told her exactly what they wanted... she was a little put off it was not quite to her dollar amount. But seemed ok with it.... until.... my sil started talking to her.

Apparently my suggestions "aren't good enough". LOL - if it is what the kids asked for how can it not be "good enough". Apparently are wants are too 'cheap'.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• That's not tacky. tacky would be telling her something that was way MORE than she wanted to spend.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 6:05 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Well then maybe Im just not classy enough since I couldnt think of anything THAT expensive. Im having a hard time coming up with a good adjective.

op
    Anonymous

• Tell her to put the rest in a savings bond for college!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 6:09 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Thank you Kimigogo... that is a good answer and usually works. This year how ever we will be opening gifts WITH sil and so mil wants to make sure she spends the same amount on each kid. And since sil told her mother that her daughters "need" a new piece from Tiffanys I know mil will want something the kids can open.

what ever - I did my part and told mil what my kids "asked" for.... if she doesnt like it she can choose.

op
    Anonymous

• LOL I talk to my MIL and tell her the things Im going to get my hubby and son and she steals all my good ideas!!! Thats fine though I cant afford them any way. Hey if your kids want something that costs a dollar and it makes them happy, thats not cheap. Thats a good thing!
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 6:15 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Honey, you can have plenty of class without your kids wanting expensive things...or without even owning them. Class, in my opinion, is more a behavior that a status.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 6:15 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• LOL stefanie.... I just cant think of a good adjective.

op
    Anonymous

• Lol, I know. I'm just trying to get the point across that you didn't do anything wrong...regardless of the adjective you're looking for. :)
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 6:22 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Oh I know stefanie. We have always had this issue. She would insist on buy the exact same dollar amount on the kids. But when they were 6 & 4 all they knew was that one kid was getting 8 gifts and the other 4. They never knew the price of things.

And it frustrates me that my sil is influancing her. My sil and I may life in similar socioecinomic areas... but we socialize comepletly differently. She is an east coaster and VERY into the look of the lifestyle - belonging to the 'right clubs' going to the 'right' restruants, etc. We live west coast and wear flip flops most the time. We go to the beach.... we dont ask what tax brackets the person one towle over from us is in prior to laying out ours. I wear Target clothes and am happy with that, even if I have the money to shop at Nordstroms. What do I care if Im wearing a name brand sweat suit.... it doesnt give me a better work out.

ugh.... I just get frustrated.
    Anonymous

• tell her that she can put the $$ difference into a savings account for the kids.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:45 PM on Dec. 1, 2009