Have any of you beat up an inanimate object to avoid doing something horrible?

I just had to beat up my couch because my son was being such a pain. I came to my breaking point. I started screaming at him and was starting to lose control, so I left and started beating up the couch. He's now sleeping, but kept getting in trouble even after I lost it. I just kept telling him to get back in his room because I couldn't take it anymore. I was crying and shaking and freaking out. That's never happened to me before. Does this happen to every mom? I feel so horrible!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• I can't say I've ever beat up a couch, but I think we've all been pushed to the breaking point at some point in time... I think removing yourself from the scene and taking a breather (or taking your aggression out on the couch) is a much better idea than taking it out on the kids any time!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:35 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Oh yes! But my pillow took the beating! lol
    flowerchid72

Answer by flowerchid72 at 6:56 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Nope, I don't really feel the need to express my anger like that. Then again, my son is only 9 weeks old, so maybe in the future I'll know how you feel, lol.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 7:07 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• ya...that is why i cannot have glass glasses because when im mad i tend to clean and throw things around and my glasses get broken...lol
    lmaines22

Answer by lmaines22 at 7:14 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Oh yes!! I have thrown pillows,kicked walls, punched the mattress. It happens and as long as we don't use our kids as punching bags, it is ok to release pent up anger and stress.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:18 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• We all reach the breaking point some days. I would just try harder to recognize when you are feeling out of control and walk away before all the screaming. Don't be too hard on yourself..just do better keeping yourself in control next time, that is the only thing you or anyone else can ask of you.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:36 PM on Dec. 2, 2009