My 4 year old was just diagnosed with the H1N1, Now I'm feeling sick and my doctor wont call me back.....

I felt fine yesterday but now my head is starting to hurt and I am more tired than normal. My child is feeling better but he still has a low grade fever. Help

aheuszel

Asked by aheuszel at 6:33 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Go to Urgent Care if you can
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 6:36 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• There is no need to rush to the ER for H1N1. Most of the time it can take its course JUST FINE at home! Monitor your temp very closely and go in if it starts to rise and watch your breathing. If you start experiencing shortness of breath or tightness then go in. Its no worse than any other form of the flu! Did your doc give you tamiflu when your child was diagnosed with it? My doc put me on tamiflu when both my kids were diagnosed with the swine flu
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 7:10 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• In some cases H1N1 can kill in hours an otherwise healthy person, I would go to the ER. I wouldn't take any chances because if you become incapacitated who will take care of your child? Some people say let it ride like a normal flu. I read about four cases that the men were fine, strong and healthy and in a matter of hours they deteriorated to the point of needing to be operated with multiple organ failures, one of them still was in a coma last I heard, so no I wouldn't wait, I would go to the ER immediately.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 7:19 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• just stay hydrated and rest as much as possible. hope you all feel better soon :)
    Anonymous

• The ER isn't going to do anything for you if you're not running a fever... so really you'd be sitting there for nothing. I'd just call your OB in the morning.
    jenwmuot

Answer by jenwmuot at 9:05 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• bebita...

Would you be willing to state your sources about the 4 cases of men being fine and then needing surgery within hours? I havent heard of anything like this in all of this hoopla about the Swine Flu. I would love to read about this.
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:09 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• What harm will it have on the baby if I do catch it? I'm 21 weeks.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 11:21 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• I have heard (although I am obviously no doctor) that the worst danger is to you and not the baby. The problem with the baby is supposedly their core temp rising if you get a fever. So as long as you keep your fever down, the baby should be ok. I am sorry but I am not one of those people that freaks about H1N1 any more than I would freak about a common cold or flu. Both my kids had it during this pregnancy and it didnt faze me. I dont believe in rushing to the ER just because you might have it... I think there is a reason your doc didnt call you back, its not as serious as everybody makes it out to be.

I am still waiting for bebita to post her sources about people going from TOTALLY fine to needing surgery within hours. Yes, I have heard of people taking a turn for a worse (and even dying) that quickly but ALL of the one's I have read about KNEW they were sick and werent fine right before it happened
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:35 AM on Dec. 2, 2009