kick a ginger day?

I saw on the news that 3 or 4 kids are being charged with assault for attacking a redheaded class mate, because it was "Kick a ginger day". Apparently it was some South Park episode. Do parents not teach their children that these are just shows? or right from wrong for that matter? Dh and I are redheads and Im currently pregnant with our first child. He may be a redhead too so it frustrates me to no end how ignorant people can be. I know a lot of you have redheaded children also. What would you do if it was your child that was attacked? Personally depending on how bad my child was hurt is how fast those other kids parents would be in ICU and the kids in Juvie

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:36 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• This was talked about already
    It is horrible. Some people are just freakin MEAN
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:50 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• The cartoon had nothing to do with it IMO. These little brats did something because they thought they could get away with it...Parents need to handle their business

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 6:54 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I told you when it was posted a week ago that this was from a South Park episode. It is an old episode at that. I had an 11th grader write a wonderful essay 2 years ago about being a "ginger". He understood the parallel the writers made to the blind following of Hitler to hate a segment of society for no reason other than some arbitrary characteristic. The "gingers" in the episode mimiced the Jews in Germany. I guess it hit a rerun and some kids saw it but didn't have enough sense to understand the metaphor. South Park is for and older audience than young teens.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:29 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• jesse123456,

You are entirely accurate that South Park SHOULD be for an older audience. But frankly, the whole medium (small kids, cartoon) caters to younger audiences ... and the authors are delinquent for being irresponsible about what they subliminally plant as acceptable behavior. Not just in this episode, but in episode after episode.

It is insane to understand the impact of commercials on EVERYONE - adult and child alike - and to then blithely produce such poison with the idea that it won't have any repercussions.

Feh !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 8:05 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• What is a ginger....someone else used this term the other day and I didnt know what it meant....fill me in.
    Anonymous

• a ginger is a readhead?
    Anonymous

• this show is not for kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 8:22 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• You are entirely accurate that South Park SHOULD be for an older audience. But frankly, the whole medium (small kids, cartoon) caters to younger audiences ... and the authors are delinquent for being irresponsible about what they subliminally plant as acceptable behavior. Not just in this episode, but in episode after episode.

People need to control the media their kids consume, it's that simple. I don't want my entertainment options to be limited, to quote the late great Frank Zappa, to those which suit "the spiritual needs of a hypothetical 12 year old"

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 10:24 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I will, however, concede your point on commercials, Waldorf. There seems to be little thought given to screening the content on them to that of the show during which they are run.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 10:26 PM on Dec. 1, 2009