kick a ginger day?

I saw on the news that 3 or 4 kids are being charged with assault for attacking a redheaded class mate, because it was "Kick a ginger day". Apparently it was some South Park episode. Do parents not teach their children that these are just shows? or right from wrong for that matter? Dh and I are redheads and Im currently pregnant with our first child. He may be a redhead too so it frustrates me to no end how ignorant people can be. I know a lot of you have redheaded children also. What would you do if it was your child that was attacked? Personally depending on how bad my child was hurt is how fast those other kids parents would be in ICU and the kids in Juvie

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:37 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• Only a ginger can call another ginger, ginger!
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 6:40 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• When i heard of this i was really really mad! I have a redhead and I know that if my child was a victim on "Kick a Ginger Day" then the parents of those children would be paying for their child's actions!, and their lack of parenting skills I dont think i would assault them because it would just teach my children that assault was ok. I would however be sueing the parents for medical bills and emotional trauma towards me DD.
    momie_of_munch2

Answer by momie_of_munch2 at 6:41 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• How sad... I did suffer a lot of teasing because of my red hair. But I think I am a more compassionate person because of it. All kids get teased about something.
    I would be extremely angry by this though if it was my kids getting kicked. I agree with you, I would press charges depending on the severity of the abuse.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 6:41 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• That's just pathetic.

As for what I would do... I probably wouldn't have to do anything. I teach my kids not to take any abuse from anyone... the ol' "don't start nothin - won't be nothin". My husband is a martial arts expert & teaches them.... so all I can say is the kickers had BETTER get a really good kick in the 1st time... 'cause it would be the last time LOL
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 6:58 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• really?, people get teased for having red hair? But it's so pretty. my boss' kids are redheads and they're gorgeous. we're not redheads, we arent even white, but my dd looooves red heads and is convinced that she has to marry one one day, lol. her favorite singer is a ginger.

it's ridiculous that we still have hate crimes, it doesnt matter what color a persons skin or hair is.
    Anonymous

• All of the obvious aside (such as kids beating up kids over hair color, etc etc etc)

Who the heck lets their KIDS watch South Park? It's blocked on our tv, because even my husband and I don't need to watch that crap.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:01 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Depending on how bad the assault was I'd press charges which is looks like that happened anyway. How ridiculous.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:33 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• A better question would be why do parents let their children watch shows like this? Why don't parents be the parents? JUST SAY NO!
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 10:54 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I'm a red-head and I feel slighly offeneded at being called a ginger. How woud you like it if I called your blondie, or called your kid Shit-head cause his hair was brown.

Its no difference than saying ni**er.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Oh God, the guys at work talk about ginger kids all the time. They said there is even a website called gingerkids.com Totally rediculous. Some jokes people just take too far. I would never sit still for someone assulting a person based on color, religion etc. The world is a scary place sometimes.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:33 PM on Dec. 2, 2009