Anyone know if turning on the heater in a Manual car wastes gas?

we have a manual (stick shift) car and my husband has noticed it uses up gas when he has the heater on. it gets really cold at 5am in the morning when he is off to work. does it also use up gas if we use the air conditioner? and if so how does this happen?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:40 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I actually just watched a show called" mythbusters" that tested the theory and they found out that it does'nt
    flowerchid72

Answer by flowerchid72 at 6:46 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• No it runs off the heat of the engine. AC runs of gas
    If you are losing gas mileage then you should look at replacing you rair fliter its about 15 bucks.
    You can also go to auto zone and have them run an engine check to see if it is more serious.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:47 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Ok we had the car since 2006. its a ford focus 4 door zx4. im going to tell my husband thanks
    Anonymous

• Not gas Mileage, Actual loosing GAS from the GAS tank
    Anonymous

• Turning on the heat will not cause you to loose gas from the tank, that is a leak. The tank could have small pin holes in it or one of the lines. Do you think someone could be stealing gas from you? My hubby had to put a lock on his gas cap because someone was stealing it..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:59 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• If he is starting it before he actually leaves for it to warm up before he gets in, then yes he is using gas...but to run the car, not the heater.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:00 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I dont think anyone is stealing gas from us. but it could have a hole maybe, i dont know lol. My husband is a mechanic but he does not do anything with Air/heat. he fixes army vehicles. He is the only one who drives it. we just have that one car. No he starts the car first and he lets it warm up before he drives off. after that if its really cold he puts the heater on. but he said its wasting gas in the car and now he just has it on for like 5 mins and turns it off.
    Anonymous

• I wrote you back in the PM
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 7:20 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• We had a small leak in our fuel line. We were losing a tiny bit of gas, but could smell it a bit too. Can you smell gas?
    Anonymous

• No we cant smell gas. I called firestone and he said the AC and heater does loose gas. especially if my husband has the defrost or defrost/mix on while he has the head lights on. He said that makes a car loose Gas. We are taking it sat to see if its something else
    Anonymous