6 month old hasn't pooped?

My daughter is 6 months old and is breast fed. The last two weeks I've been introducing cereal. I had to add applesauce so she would eat it. She hasn't pooped in 4 days but before cereal she used to poop 1x a day. I plan on calling the dr in the morning but should I try prunes? She doesn't seem mad or constipated????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she doesn't seem constipated or there are no lumps in her abdomen, I wouldn't worry so much about it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:55 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I wouldn't worry unless she seems unfomfortable, but I *would* ditch the cereal. Get some avocado or sweet potato instead.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 6:59 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• It is normal for an BF baby to go up to ten days without pooping as long as when they do poop it is not pellets or cause them to strain. However, I would assume it is probably the cereal. I would honestly ditch the cereal. Very little nutritional value anyways. As the PP said, i would go with banana or avocado.
    ArmyMom2oneboy

Answer by ArmyMom2oneboy at 7:13 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• u can try pedialyte if she will tolerate it, my little ones had terrible colic when they were babies it was a life saver. and for sure call the doc in the morning.

good luck
    jannaward

Answer by jannaward at 7:35 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• pedialyte won't do anything for constipation...

Just skip the cereal. Most has added iron (which your baby probably doesn't need, have her iron level checked if you're not sure).
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:13 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Hehe. Let me guess, RICE cereal? And applesauce to boot? You know the diet they recommend for diarrhea? BRAT. Bananas, rice, applesauce, toast. These are the most constipating foods people can eat. Avacado is also somewhat constipating.

If I were you, I would try sweet potatoes, pumpkin, squash, or pears. None are constipating and all are packed with nutrition.

If your baby seems to have problems with constipation, (ie: pellet poohs) stick to oatmeal or barley cereal if you must do cereal. And try not to give the constipating foods much until baby is much older and better at compensating with increased fluids.

And if it is not actual constipation, meaning she does not eventually pass hard pellet-like poohs or strain and strain , it is totally normal for a breastfed baby to go very long periods without poohing. BUT once you start solids tho they do pooh more. I'd EBF for a day or two then maybe give prunes.
    Anonymous

• I'd EBF because breastmilk is baby's best laxative. :)
    Anonymous