How do start a bedtime for two girls ages 3.5 & 1.5 that have to share a room? PLEASE HELP!!

I need to get a set bedtime for my two toddlers.
They both sleep with me and no one is getting any sleep.
One or the other of them wakes up multiple times in the night screaming and crying for sometimes extended periods.
Please give any ideas you have used or have known to work.
I no longer want to sleep with my kids (shouldn't have started).
I am currently pregnant and want to get my girls settled down for bed and in a routine before my new baby is born.
Their father is not in the picture so I have to do this on my own.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:56 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• Start a routine. You pick it, your the mom.
    For my son I did something like this:
    7:30 Bath time
    8:00 Snack time
    8:15 Story
    8:30 Bed time
    Anonymous

• OP here:: how long is ok to let them scream?
    Is this going to be impossible because I am trying to do it with both of them at the same time in the same room?
    Anonymous

• When my two shared a room, my daughter was 4.5 and my son 1.5. I found that putting him to sleep first, and then telling my daughter that she had to be really quiet so as to not wake up her baby brother worked. I hope that helps.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 7:04 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I haven't had to do it with two at the same time, but I would suggest put the younger one down first. The first week will be rough.
    After 15 minutes of crying go comfort her but do not pick her up. Do not turn on the light. Tell her it's bedtime. I love you. Lay her back down. Cover her up and walk away.

Then follow prettyrayray's advice about putting the older child to bed and telling her to be really quiet so as not to wake her sister up. Maybe come up with a reward chart and small rewards for her going to bed "like a big girl" and not waking the baby.
    Anonymous

• Exactly anon :08, they feel like they have a lot of responsibility to help mom keep the baby asleep :) I like the chart idea a lot!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 7:28 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• agree with anon 7:08
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:12 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• My girls share a room and when they first started they were 18 months and 3, so we would put my younger dd down first. I never had to deal with here screaming though, because we did her routine and that was that. If she did fuss, I would go in and tell her it's time to go night night and mommy would see her in the morning...after she was asleep, we put my older dd down and told her to be quiet to she didn't wake her baby...lol that's what she called her sister...lol

stick to the routine and they will be fine.
    Anonymous