Would you allow your child in showbiz??

My daughter is 5 and extremelly talented as an actress. She loves acting and her drama teachers say she has great potential as an actress. An agent who watched my daughter's play asked me if I would allow her to star in a TV show with a bunch of famous tv-stars and I immediately said no without even thinking about it. So, now that agent called me again and a tv station also called and asked me to get my DD down there and talk with them. My husband thinks it would be ok for our girl to do it, but I disagree. What would you do??

Emmagr

Asked by Emmagr at 7:05 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• Honestly, I probably wouldn't. If I did, I wouldn't let it go too far. A lot of childhood stars go on to have some major problems later in life.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 7:06 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• With close parental supervision I might.
    Without it, definitely not.
    Anonymous

• Agree with StefanieN84. Consider, for instance, the Olsen twins, Britney Spears and many other children in showbiz who have ruined their lives.
    Anonymous

• You can also consider Dakota Fanning, a fine actress, and remarkably unaffected by her fame... I think as long as there is close parental supervision, and your daughter truly enjoys it, why not?
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:15 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• i wouldnt, hollywood is full of drugs and sex. look at this story now with Jodie Sweetin from full house, she started alcohol when she was 14yo. and it escalated to hard drugs. Rudy from the Cosby show, porn star, Drew Barrymore, bobby from brady bunch, there are just too many to name. Its better to protect her now so that she can have a bright future.
    Anonymous

Dakota Fanning is still young. Time will tell on her.
    Anonymous

• I might do it during the summer, but I wouldn't take her out of school to do an audition or show. The problem with children becoming actors is they're soo impressionable. They can easily become very arrogant and concieded when they see how much people enjoy their acting. However, if you keep them down to earth and treat them like you always have at home, you can keep that from happening. If my child truely enjoyed it and wanted to do it, I would consider it. I just wouldn't make it a full time thing until they were much older (teens) and really truely felt they wanted to. I wouldn't take them out of school for it though. It would be a summer gig.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:54 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Yeah, Jodie Sweetin spent a few months in rehub. Mary-Kate Olsen was an anorexic, grug addict and both Olsen twins were college drop-outs. So, basically, full house ruined its cast!! Stephanie and Michelle are both crwed up. DJ is the only one who's a decent adult now. Justin Timberllake was also a famous kid and he's doing fine. Alyssa Milano also. So, what I'm trying to say here, it's that it's up to the parents. I would allow my kid in showbiz but I wouldn't want to become her agent instead of her mom. And I would make her understand that acting it's just a hobby she can give up any time she wants. I wouldn't push it.
    Anonymous

• anon above me what?!? please please PLEASE attempt spelling
    To the OP this has been a big topic around my house lately. Ds has been offered several modeling contracts throughout time and we have declined all of them but are now considering since he is a little older. I don't think we would take it further than that unless it was some wild dream of his but then he would be supervised.
    I find it funny that everyone is talking about people they really have no idea about. One can never really know what is going on with celebrities because the media paints the picture for you for drama. You never really know.
    rozepyle

Answer by rozepyle at 8:45 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• You never see shows on child stars and how normal and stable they are. Only how screwed up they are. 5 is so young, I would let my kid be a kid.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:20 PM on Dec. 2, 2009