cussing and yelling

My three year old son has taken to yelling at me if I tell him to do something he doesnt want to do ... for example if I tell him to eat when he wants to play he'll yell "mommy you eat or ill put you on time out"...
is this normal? should i be concerned? what can i do to put a stop to it quickly?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:12 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• yes, totally normal. But dont let him see you lol. Be firm and kind and let him know that he may not talk to you that way. Prepairing kids to be decent teenagers starts NOW.
    Anonymous

• He is copying what he sees and hears. If he doesn't want eat let him starve till he is hungry enough to eat what is put in front of him. My oldest didn't eat dinner two days in a row, the third she did. Pick your battles and try not to yell. I know that is hard, I am guilty of it myself. I have found that if I reward my girls when they do what I want, a simple thank you works, it helps, not 100% but better. I try to ignore the none harmful and less annoying acts at times. This seems to decrease the behavior as well. Get creative, bribes are a beautiful thing, also special things like one on one time are great.  We have all been there somthing wil give.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 7:19 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I have a 3 year old with a potty mouth and she liked to back talk me a lot..Fast and easy way to fix it..Soap in the mouth..She knows if she curses or yells at me she's getting a mouth full of soap..Needless to say she stopped it really quick like..
    GiannasMommy06

Answer by GiannasMommy06 at 9:03 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• seeing as how my 3 year old is doing the same thing, i would say it's normal. just today, he told me if i didn't shut the door i was going to have to go to the naughty corner. LOL

just keep reminding him that he is not to talk to you that way. good luck!
    MommyToEthan

Answer by MommyToEthan at 9:11 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Yes, this is somewhat normal, but dont let it slip by without addressing it. My 3 yr old says...momma, go do your homework! LOL. I am always telling him that he needs to play quietly by himself because I need to work in my office, so when he wants me out of the room (likely because he wants to do something hes not allowed to) he tells me to go. He also sometimes likes to inform me that hes the boss. Hes just a mouthy kid and very expressive. I explain very calmly to him that he is not the boss and he will do as I ask because I am the mom. We addresss issues of disrespect very quickly, but dont take him too seriously. Just simply correct him by saying, we do not yell at one another and you do not tell me to do anything. I have asked you to do this and I need you to do it now. Then enforce what youve told him. Dont get into a power struggle with him. Hes just seeing how far you will let him go. Typical 3 yr old! Good luck.
    momofsaee4

Answer by momofsaee4 at 6:33 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• HELL NO that isn't normal. And it's not NORMAL that people think it's NORMAL fora child to be so damn disrespectful.
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 8:00 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• It is normal and it isn't about being disrespectful. He is copying what he hears and sees. Be it at home. on tv, ect. When he yells at you IGNORE. Tell him ONCE that you will only talk to him if he talks nicely and SHOW him how to talk nicely. Do NOT use soap, hot sauce etc. Soap can make a child very sick and hotsauce can burn a hole in the esphougaus. Then, pay attention to how you talk to him, siblings, spouse or others in general. Make an effort to change how you are speaking or reacting, children learn by watching what others are doing.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:45 PM on Dec. 2, 2009