how do i get my son to stop crying everytime daddy walks out of the house?

my 15 month old son cries everytime daddy walks out the door. he does it with a couple other people but with daddy the most. when daddy was working he was the only one working and i stayed home with our son. and it used to be he would only cry when daddy left for work. but now it's everytime he walks out the door. even if he just goes out for a minute like to take out the trash or something like that. he'll run after him screaming and crying and when he gets to the door he collapses and continues to throw a fit. i don't know what to do or how to get him to stop doing it. i know it's a separation thing but i would like to know how to get him through and over it. any suggestions?

mamakitty86

Asked by mamakitty86 at 7:14 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son does the same thing when I leave the room, even if it's just going to the bathroom. Full on hissy fit, throwing himself on the floor and everything. The thing that works best for us is just not pay any attention to him, because that only seems to feed it. He'll lie there screaming for about 30 seconds, looks around to see if anybody is watching, and if not, he just gets up and goes about his business.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:18 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• My son does that too. I just explain to him "Daddy just went to take the trash out, he will be right back.". I don't know if he understands what I'm saying, but when Daddy comes back 5 minutes later he's happy and then the next time the situation happens he knows Daddy is coming back (even though I have to repeat my speech to remind him). He keeps seeing Daddy come back.

It's a phase.
    Anonymous

• My youngest was this way. My MIL gave us a book called "What Does Baby Do? and it models how babies should act. One page says "Daddy leaves for work. What does baby do?" and then you lift the flap and it says, "Baby waves and says "Bye Bye Daddy"". That is all it took. We read the book for a week, then when daddy would leave and he would start to get upset we would say "What does baby do?". He started to happily wave at daddy. We have expanded it, to all kids of things. He will be throwing his food on the floor and we say "what does baby do?" and he stops and listens. We say baby sits nicely and eats his food he doesn't throw it on the floor. and he actually stops.
    LOL... I don;t know if it would work for you but it is worth a try.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:29 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• This is a link to the book. It says they have them new from $2.75.

http://www.amazon.com/Begin-Smart-What-Does-Baby/dp/1934618152

Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:30 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Have daddy talk to him before he leaves. Have dad say "I am going to work for a few hours, but I will be back at 5:00" have him give your son a kiss and hug, say "Bye" and walk out the door. If your son starts crying, reassure him that Daddy will be back at 5:00 and show him how to tell on the clock when daddy will be home. Then distract your son with a game, a toy, a movie, or something to keep him occupied. Then if daddy is going to take out the trash, have him say "I'll be right back in, I just have to take out the trash" .. eventually your son will realize daddy is always coming back. And.. By showing him what time on the clock daddy is coming home, he'll soon learn how to use the clock. Just keep reassuring him daddy is coming home, and have daddy reassure him too. Then distract him right after daddy leaves, so he isn't caught up in the emotion of him leaving. That will help it from escelating.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:49 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• how does dad leave? maybe explaining where he's going might help. my son HATES when I leave him... no matter what,. But just simply explaining what I am doing or where I am going over and over has helped and warnings too - like, ok, mommy has to take out the garbage pretty soon, then a minute later, repeating myself, then finally telling him, Oh Mommy has to go take out the garbage now, I'll be right back - and ALWAYS say the same thing - even with Mommy has to go to work now, but you get to play with daddy or go to daycare or where ever, now My son repeats me
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:20 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• aww, my son does that too and he is 20 months. it really breaks my heart. nothing i tried has helped, i hope it's just a phase he will outgrow
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:11 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Mine too he does it if i leave or if my husband leaves.... it sucks but usually after a minute or two he is ok
    NycoleBenjamin

Answer by NycoleBenjamin at 9:34 AM on Dec. 3, 2009