Help, I got a puppy last week and he is 10weeks old, how do i stop him pooping in house?

I have tried putting him out side and giving him treats when he poops in garden, but he just seems topoop where ever he is. Like a toddler running round with no nappy.

nzpominaus

Asked by nzpominaus at 7:19 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Pets

• He's a puppy... it's going to take time, and patience. Take him outside at regular intervals (FREQUENTLY) and keep praising him whenever he does his business outside. You might want to get some puppy pads for inside too, whenever he needs to be inside for a while, keep him contained in a smaller area, usually they will use the pads. Like you said, he basically IS a toddler, he can't help himself yet.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:21 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• i remember my step mom would spray pinesol in spots where the dog would go so that they would'nt use the same spot again
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:37 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• It's natural. My dad used to grab them by the scruff of the neck .. Not hurt them by any means though .. Stick their nose to it, not in it, just to it and firmly say "No". Then he would take them outside. Our dogs learned quickly.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:42 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• You need to get him a schedule. take him out frequently and do not let him have free run of the house if you have to tie him to you so you can keep a close eye on him. When he goes outside reward and praise him. If he does have an accident in the house and you do not catch him do not rub his nose in it. That is very old school and only teaches them to fear you. Dogs live in the present so what they did 5 minutes before has already been forgotten.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:25 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• Take him outside within 10 minutes of him eating and let him wander around. Eating will stimulate him and make him need to go.
    Also, a rule of thumb is that puppies can only hold their pee for every month of age so since yours is just over 2 months that means he should go out at least ever 2 hours.
    Rubbing his nose in it does no good. They don't understand. He will just learn that poop on the floor is bad not the act of pooping on the floor is bad.
    Anonymous

• We crate train. And rubbing my dogs' noses in it worked. My dogs don't fear me, either, they are happy, balanced members of our family. Good luck, some will take only a month or two, others could take up to a year. Depends on your consistency, and the dog's own personality and willingness to learn.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:35 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• And 10 mins is NOT long enough for the food to digest and get through the puppy's system.

Keep an eye on your dog after you feed him, and wait for him to need to go. Once you figure out what his pooping schedule is after eating, you'll be able to time his poop breaks accordingly. My little Chloe eats all throughout the day like a cat, but goes outside first thing in the morning to poop. We feed Iams, too.. for sensitive stomachs, it's highly palatable, and even our 50lb aussie/border collie mix only eats a little over 2 cups a day, and she works cows sun up to sun down here in cold Montana. Every dog is different, but remember you have to stay consistent in whatever method you choose, and it WILL take time.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:40 AM on Dec. 3, 2009