How long before my milk dries up?

i've been nursing my son on demand for almost 2 years now, (his 2nd birthday is in 5 days) Im currently in the process of weaning him, I was wondering how long it takes for the milk to ry up and anything that could help the engorgment.

prettymama0607

Asked by prettymama0607 at 7:31 PM on Dec. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it can take a while. I had my DD 16 mths ago I only BF for a week and I still have milk!
    Anonymous

• It can take a long time. It really just depends on your body. You can put cabbage leaves in your bra to help you dry up. Sounds crazy, but it works.
    curlycupcake

Answer by curlycupcake at 8:05 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Are you weaning cold turkey? Just asking because you are complaining of engorgement. To help the discomfort, I'd gradually stop nursing. Even then, when you are done, you may have milk for a year or two, or just a few weeks. No way to really tell.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:16 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• I weaned my girls by cutting a min. a week with one feeding at a time. If you want to be more aggressive do a min every 3 days with each feeding. This should minimizes being engorged and ease the process for your son. My oldest did fine with this, my youngest cried for three days with every dropped feeding, then was fine. As far as how long it took me a week to really dry up.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:31 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Milk can be there as long as a year.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:11 PM on Dec. 1, 2009